Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driving Sketch Better than equation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe they are sketches in which all dimensions are being stored.
All following features don’t have any dimensions.

That's a bit extreme, but overall not a bad modelling practice. This is especially true in cases where persons other than the CAD modeler make most of the design decisions.

With new designs, I normally make one or two "control line" sketches. For instance, the main profile of an extruded hinge will be a stand-alone sketch. The first extrude feature's sketch will reference the control line sketch using "Convert Entities". Later features reference the control line sketches instead of model edges whenever possible.

This may sound like a pain in the arse, but it saves a lot of trouble in the long run. I find it's easier to manage changes in models when they are constructed in this fashion.

[bat]"When everyone is thinking alike, no one is thinking very much." --Eckhard Schwarz (1930--2004)[bat]

You think that is extreme check this out!
Now that you have those 3 driving sketches (top, front & write) you can create a design table that drives your driving sketches.
In other words when you want to change something you look only in one place your design table.

Did you know that driven dimensions could be used as an impute values for a design table.

I know, the goal is not to change them but it is to use them as impute value for your other parts. It means that you can drives a assembly by one part by using driven dimension in design table.

I never said that the DT would be in the assembly.
I only use DT in parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back