Dry-Type Dstribution Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbedford

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2004
CA
Hello,

I have recently completed startup on several large air handlers. Each air handler has a service corridor maintaining room temperature.
There are four transformers in each corridor and they all have surface temperatures of 150F.
I expect high temperatures on transformers, but is this too high?

Should I track temperature over time?

Thank you,

Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That would be around 65 C, which is a healthy surface temperature. Modern insulation materials can take much more - even if they are not run at maximum temperature. I wouldn't worry.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

I thought most dry type transformers are 100 degree c rise if its wound with copper. There should be a temp sensor phenolic/glastic tube installed from manufacturer, probably located in the hi low barrier of the xfmr. This would be where the temp sensor would be installed. This would go back to your overtemp instrument or plc to alarm.

I think the only thing worry about dry type xfmr is dust buildup from all the ozone. dry type xfmr are dust magnets. Filter changing is critical on the enclosure.

The XFMR nameplate should have temperature rise information on it. I would look there first. Also, if memory serves me, the nameplate temperature is the max safe "rise" temperature ABOVE ambient.

What is safe for the transformer is not necessarily safe for human contact. A heavily loaded Class H dry-type transformer will be hot enough to cook on. If the transformer is in an accessible walkway where it presents a burn hazard then you may need to provide protection against contact even though the transformer is operating well within its capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back