Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Computers?????? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckdogg

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2005
US
anyone using a dedicated "Solidworks only" workstation and a second computer for email/internet? Our IT guys are convinced that this is necessary. Right now, they are starting to roll out a new computer to us just for Solidworks, and we are keeping our old computers to run M$ office and internet access. Anyone have anything I can show to them to disprove their theory?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Calculate the amount of time wasted vs saved in salary terms.

If you really need x64 computing, that's fine. You'll have some limits for drivers, etc., and you can keep a laptop or old system around for the more complex printing, whatever.

There's no way I could justify the additional amount of time necessary for jumping from one system to another just to communicate. If I needed x64 computing, I'd figure out whatever it takes to get the basics in communication covered and run with it. I wouldn't, however, jump through the hoops required for having a totally segregated system. Light-weight anti-virus programs (such as Avast) and open platform email programs (such as Thunderbird) would probably do a fine job of enabling an x64 computer communicate at normal levels--you just may need to move from silly limited programs such as Outlook Express or Norton to do so without hindrance.

I use a single system as my primary workhorse and I do everything through this system. File sharing on network, shared printer, etc. No problems with system instability, etc. Of course, I'm using XP Pro (32-bit), so it's convenient--but I also use 64-bit, multi-core chips--so it does 32-bit stuff about as fast as possible. No way I could charge clients for all the extra time it would take for me to have a dedicated SW machine.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back