Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ducted Fan Efflux - How to calculate distance travelled to its approximate velocity? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tklfserve

Mechanical
Mar 20, 2008
US
This is My Really Hard Question:

I have a 70mm EDF [Electric Ducted Fan] it generates 2.45 kg force at maximum thrust. I then calculate its exhaust efflux velocity to be something like 526 m/s based on an Air density of 1.21kg/m³ to get the same volumetric flow.
Mass=Volume*Density
2.45kgs thrust = 2.45kgs exhausted
2.45kgs=Pi*.07²/4 *Length*1.21 [density of air]

So then it follows: The length=526 meters
or that the flow is 526m/s

For my project: I need to know how far back from its exhaust. Is a distance where I can see an exhaust air velocity 1/10 or 10% of this jet efflux. {As I wish to Scale/Calculate the EDF Size up and down and play with varying the exit velocities in a number of different configuration's and vary distances [limited scope] to a attached cube of 10cmx10cmx10cm and Cd of 1.05 and see what force it has on it negatively.

How do I come up with a 'simple' formula to work this out mathematically???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think there is a 'simple' solution.

If you were looking at the inlet side, I'd say you could model the isobars as hemispheres.

On the exit side, things are different. A jet exiting from a plane will have generally paraboloidal isobars, but the edges of the jet shear against initially quiescent fluid and entrain it, causing it to also move, so the jet diverges. At the same time, a radial inflow is induced along the exit plane. If the jet is issuing into a finite chamber, it induces a generally toroidal flow within the chamber.

The math is a mess, and the math does not govern what happens.
Better to mock up the geometry of the application, and measure the flow field, rather than trying to predict it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

'Maths a mess'!-Hmmm I was hoping you weren't going to say that
no simple approximations then?- any?
And Best way to measure a flow field down at this small RC model scale?

Probably with a 'hot wire anemometer', which could be just a small power resistor, if you don't need millisecond response.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

That looks like a decent price for a commercial sensor. You can do it for less cash if you're into homebrew electronics and don't mind expending a lot of time building and calibrating.

The flow field looks about like I'd _imagine_ it to be.
The anemometer will let you map what's actually going on.
... it will probably be different from what either of us might expect.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks Mike
A small part of a big problem, for a possible US patent in the works...
Let you know in 2014 how I turns out!

Your initial assumptions appear to be suspect. 526 m/s is substantially faster than the speed of sound at ~20ºC, which is the temperature for which your air density is valid.

Using your 2.45 kgf thrust, I only get about 100 m/s velocity through the fan area of 70mm diameter:
2ns2yv7.gif

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

IRStuff

Correct. Mach 1 is 340.29 m/s, Or 1125 km/hr, or 761 MPH. So 526/340 m/s =Mach 1.68!

Wow.... I better stick it on Ebay and sell it for $1000's of dollars that would be one Mean unit!...

100.5 m/s = 361km/hr is also very fast exhaust or efflux! over twice what my car can do flat out... but about sounds right when you think a typical EDF plane hits 160km/hr without too much trouble
I'm kicking myself, for not picking it up. And I can see where some of the issue lies -check the original spec sheet from manufacturer attached to first post it says 2.45 kg, not 2.45 kgf big difference! I have then misinterpreted 2.45kg along the lines of a simple weight calculation.
not the Sqrt (F/(0.5*p*a) you are suppose to.

So thanks for pointing it out. I would have sail straight on past it and then ended up with some of the other results could have been hilarious:)
A lesson for all of us: do a mental check to see if the numbers match real world expectations.... even if your feeling tired.

So... what to do... about rough estimating the force? on a 10cm x10cm say 1 meter away from the tail.........till an Anemometer comes?

You don't say what the aspect ratio of your duct to fan diameter is, which I would presume to have some influence on the results. Something like this: has a relatively low aspect ratio, so spherical isobars would seem to be plausible worst-case scenarios. I would then propagate the aspect ratio out to 1 m and use the ratio of areas. I would also deprecate the lateral velocity of the exhaust, and make some assumptions about how much is still perpendicular at 1 m.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

IRstuff
Thanks for reply.
Yesterday was full of activity so wasn’t able to post a reply as soon I want to.
So things to discuss:

Aspect ratio:
69.9mm diameter x 52.5 mm long so 1:0.75 ratio
So for this ‘unusual’ application, high rate dispersal would be a good thing and having high torque is more important than high power
So have no intention at this stage of adding Trust tubes or Inlet Extensions [ and not ruling it out either inlet extensions might be good]. Will consider it later if things change
Although it’s an interesting feature here’s a look and a link on basic designs:
Again to repeat: My need is to understand the relationship between exhaust velocity and how far it travels backwards I’m prepared to do calibration when all the bits and pieces finally arrive. And what I’m looking for is basic level of understanding if say, I took the concept and where to then scale it between say a 50mm diameter EDF fan to say a 250mm EDF fan. What happens? Could I predict a possible force outcome That would probably cover it.
The Air drag on the block looks simple enough. I do a reasonable amount of liquid metal flow and Reynolds numbers and some CFD on our critical jobs at work to be conversant enough with this aspect of it.
Sphere Volume i= 4/3Pir³ and the Areas = 4Pir²
And my understanding if correct, the velocity is dropping by some factor of V=Distance x 1/X² [V= velocity X = distance] with the coefficient unknown at this stage.

So if you are up to it? Could you scan a quick working out sheet on paper and I’ll return the favor putting it into an excel sheet and a post for any who want to follow the thread at a later date.
All under the understanding its “rough approximations only” - all care no responsibility.

If not, don’t worry I’ll get some ‘real data in a few weeks’ time when all bits and pieces arrive.
I have some EDF books on back order from Amazon, somehow though, I don’t think they are going to cover this topic.
Regards

J Mayer
Vic, Australia

One data point: A helicopter turbine of ~400mm dia under test can knock down a flimsy wooden fence at a distance of ~50m. The flimsiness of the fence is an issue being debated by the owner of the turbine and the owner of the fence.

;-)

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

"to understand the relationship between exhaust velocity and how far it travels backwards"

IR's estimate of exhaust velocity seems ok but I think the CL of the fan blade should be in there somewhere.

research propeller design. I'm sure (?) that thrust = Ct*q*A ... IR has assumed Ct = 1, I suspect that that is pretty low.

in any case you're interested in how the airspeed of the slipstream changes after it's been exhausted ... Y?

research propeller slipstream. it is a complicated thing, due to mixing with air outside of the slipstream.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Mike that's funny!!
It didn't happen to be 'your' turbine by any chance! [bigcheeks]
that would make must see on Utube for most of us eng. types

Rb1957- thanks for pointing it out - will start and see what I can find on goggle. "propeller slip stream"

J Mayer
Vic, Australia

V=Distance x 1/X² [V= velocity X = distance]
should read more correctly
V= C x 1/X² [V= velocity X = distance C= coefficient]
my apologies

J Mayer
Vic, Australia

re: C[sub]L[sub]

The equation I used is the drag equation, which only has the coefficient of drag C[sub]D[/sub], which I did assume to be 1.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

"to understand the relationship between exhaust velocity and how far it travels backwards"
puts it very succinctly...

J Mayer
Vic, Australia

I'm not sure that we have enough info to get a good answer. IR's 100m/s still sounds awfully fast ... this fan, about 10sq.in is generating only 5 lbs of thrust.

one thing I think we need is propeller rpm ... research propeller design.

another thing to remember is momentum ... if the slip stream velocity decays as an inverse square law (maybe, maybe not) then the cross-section area of the slip stream is increases (proportional to distance^2). ie at the exhaust you've got a 70mm diameter flow of Vj surrounded by a large volume, call it Dmm diameter, of free stream flow (what is the free stream flow ? is the fan moving ??) then at a distance downstream you've got a larger diameter of slipstream going slower and a smaller diameter of freestream ... yes?

it sounds like you've bought this fan and are trying to do some numbers ahead of time to get ready. I suggest reading up on propeller design and this'll get you to slipstreams.

I just did IR's calc again ... I think you mixed mm and m ... I get v = 32m/s ... sqrt(2*2.4/(1.21*0.004)) = v

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I suggest that you re-look at the 2.4; it's not 2.4 kg, but 2.4 kg-force, so I think it's missing a 9.8 m/s^2 in the numerator. That is precisely why I use Mathcad, since it does the math accordingly. A dimensional analysis would show that the aforementioned calculation is missing an acceleration. If you refer to my cited link, the engine described therein is stipulated to have "Static Thrust: as much as 1.70kg at 4S and 2.45 at 6S or more," which is consistent with which has a "4.21 lb" thrust" which translates to 1.91 kgf.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back