Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dummy question about abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmuri

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2008
US
Hello,

As a newbie, I am trying to learn Abaqus by myself. I made a simple composite cylinder model to mimic a benchmark example. However, I always got a mistake like

***ERROR: 64 elements have fewer than the required number of integration points. The elements are identified in element set ErrElemMissingIntegPoints.

I guess I missed some simple thing somewhere but failed to figure it out myself.

Would anybody give a hand and let me know where I was wrong? (the model is attached)

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely yours
Ming

PS: I am using Abaqus/CAE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of elements are you using? I think you have to use different type of elements, elements with more nodes and integration points. For example if you are using 4-noded shell elements, y
ou have only one integration point, while 8-noded elements have 4 integrations points.

Regards

Senad

Thank you for the advice, Senad83.

I was using C3D20R at the beginning and tried C3D20 later. The problem is still there.

What I am trying to mimic is the benchmark problem: 1.1.4 Thick composite cylinder subjected to internal pressure (thickcompcyl_8el.inp), which also uses the C3D20R. The only major change is from UNITS: mm, N to UNITS: m, N.

I really can not figure out where I was wrong. Any comments will be more than helpful.

Sincerely yours
Ming

Well, I have really never worked with composite layers in Abaqus, but for me it seems like something is wrong with your mesh/element type. If you go to visualization, you can check witch elements are causing this problem in the element nodeset. That may help you find out what the problem is, but my guess is definitly something in mesh module.

Regards

Senad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back