Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic/Implicit. How to define a rolling condition with an initial speed and good contact? Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

omar.el92

Mechanical
May 3, 2017
IT
Hi everybody,

I really need your help, i really have been struggling with this issue for weeks now.

I want to define a rolling condition of a wheelset travelling at 70Km/h on a rail track.

I have defined three steps:

1)Static step: contact initiation with an imposed vertical displacement of the wheelset;

2)Static forces initiation: removal of the displacement and contemporary application of the static loads at the bearings.

3)Dynamic/implicit step: 

T=1s;

Increment size:0.0005s

NLGEOM ON

Velocity BC (rotation and longitudinal speed) on a RP coupled (distributed      coupling) with the wheelset axis. Instantaneous load.

I have tried tons of strategies, but i never got a realistic rolling with good contact: either the axis deforms, the velocity field oscillates, the contact saturates completely.

I have attached some pictures of the model. The V field is after 0.002s of integration, and as can be seen it's not following the BCs. 
asdsd_komjat.png
cc_o5l01t.png
vfield_pyavj2.png

I always have CSHEARF=(frictioncoefficient)*CNORMF.

You can also find attached the .inp file of the model.

Please i'm really looking forward for your help!

Regards,

Omar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for the answer Mustaine3!

It's actually a Dynamic/Implicit step.
You mean from the static part and the dynamic one? What would be the benefit of making an import of that part? The BC are already applied for the implicit job. Thank you for the cue.
Omar

When you do it all in one analysis, but then you have to increase the velocity slowly (=not instantaneous), otherwise the inertia will create resistance and the elements will collapse.

When you do Std-to-Std import, you can try predefined field to start the analysis with the desired velocity. But I don't know, if the initial velocity can be applied to imported structures. Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back