Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dyno Control and Data Aquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

racer396

Automotive
Jul 16, 2003
US
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this question but many of you here do dyno work. We are looking to get a test cell data acquisition and control system for a water brake dyno cell we are setting up. We have been looking at a DyneSystems set up using an Inter-Loc V contoler, their Cell Assitant for Windows software, and a Companion II master and slave data acquisition unit. The Superflow XConsole and their WinDyn software has caught our eye too, being much less expensive. Does anyone out there have experience with either system or both and would be will to give some feedback? Just wondering how much capability we would be lossing with the Superflow setup?

Thanks

Neil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Neil;
We've had experience with both of those companies; (DyneSystems and Superflo). I found out that the low-end Superflo system looks better in their literature than in reality. It is hard to tune, the software is confusing and tech support when we had questions was VERY lacking. (Their wood console is cool, but that alone isn't worth the cash when all we want to do is test engines.) Dynesystems' software makes the speed/torque settings really easy to change using Excel and the data acquisition system (we have a 'Companion', I didn't know about the 'companion II' but it looks the same) is really easy to configure. I wasn't familiar with the "Inter-Loc V". I checked out their wesite (dynesystems.com) and looked at it and it looks pretty cool. We have their Dyn-Loc IV running an eddy current dyno, and to pay for it (three years ago) they helped us set up a lease program. I guess your choice depends on how important real data is and how you can fanagle your budget.
Hope this helps.

-Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back