Earth ground meter Vs Multimeter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariolucas75

Civil/Environmental
Sep 21, 2010
GE
Dear forum please help me with the following understanding:

There is (are) such equipment Earth ground testers ( - it is used to measure grounded electrical systems or to measure.
Such equipment is having multiple poles that are attached to rods fixed in the soil etc etc...

However such equipment is having also a kind of simplified measurement option - 2 pole resistance measurement.

So my question is: if with such equipment with 2 pole resistance measurement technique one measures resistance between two points ( for example railway-to-earth resistance) why i can not use ordinary multimeter to measure the same resistance ? Even if the anticipated / ohm range is within multimeter scale ?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.fluke.com/en/learn/blog/grounding/soil-resistivity[/URL]]Soil resistivity measurements are often corrupted by the existence of ground currents and their harmonics. To prevent this from occurring, the Fluke 1625 uses an Automatic Frequency Control (AFC) System. This automatically selects the testing frequency with the least amount of noise enabling you to get a clear reading.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

You can use an ordinary multimeter to measure resistance between two points, including railway-to-earth resistance, as long as the resistance value is within the range of the multimeter's ohm scale. However, using a specialized Earth ground tester with a 2 pole resistance measurement technique may provide more accurate and reliable results, especially in situations where the resistance to be measured is low, and where the electrical noise or interference may affect the measurement. The specialized Earth ground tester is designed to provide a more accurate and reliable measurement of the grounding system's resistance and can also detect if there is a ground fault present, which an ordinary multimeter may not be able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back