Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect of Atmospheric Pressure on Pump Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

polyroly

Chemical
Mar 29, 2007
CA
I am sizing a small jet pump to lift a low flowrate of water into a building for a temperature measurement.
The problem is that a high amount of lift is required.
I have a pump selected that has a good amount of lift but the disclaimer says the capacities are given at near sea-level conditions.
The location is at 481 m above sea level and I am wondering what impact this elevation difference will have on the suction lift?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're set on using a pump to move the water to the measuring device, I agree with Katmar - check with the manufacturer.
I tend to throw in my 2 cents worth (and I have a handful of pennies).
How accurate does the reading have to be? Would pumping a low flowrate stream into a building affect the reading to a degree that you'd consider significant?
Have you considered putting the thermometer/thermocouple/RTD into the bulk of the stream?

Thanks guys. I had asked the manufacturer previously but have not gotten a response. I would like to put the thermocouple out into the water stream but I am getting some resistance from other members of the project group.

First up, why are you using a jet pump?

"The problem is that a high amount of lift is required" --is this suction "lift" or are you referring to discharge head?

At 481m ASL the effective maximum suction "lift" achievable from any pumping system will reduce by something like 0.7m.

I am referring to suction lift. The discharge head requirements are negligible.

Is there something wrong with jet pumps?

Where did you get 0.7m from?

The question "why are you using a jet pump" was to try and establish the "suction" lift - what suction lift are you talking about?

Absolutely nothing wrong with jet pumps in the right application - however, as your application is not fully explained would you be better served with a standard pump?

Where is the eductor(jet)located in your pump system - at the pump inlet or external to the pump (at the inlet to the suction pipework)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back