Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect of Elevated Temperature on UTS of Aluminium 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipperyPete

Aerospace
Sep 3, 2012
GB
I have a question regarding the degradation in mechanical properties of 6061-T6 aluminium alloy at elevated temperatures.

The application involves operation at 250degC which creates quite a severe reduction in the strength properties. If I review published data (ESDU, MMPDS-4 etc) there are heat factor curves typically for 1hr, 10hr, 1000hr and 10,000hr soak times. For my application it will only be subjected to the elevated temperature for a maximum of 10-hours in any usage cycle. However, over the life of the vehicle the total exposure time will run into thousands of hours.

My interpretation is that the 10-hour curve should be used as this is the maximum soak time. However, I have had conflicting advice that the effect is cumulative and therefore the 10,000-hour curve should be used. At the operating temperatures at which this equipment is exposed this will make a big difference in the allowable strength properties.

Any advice gratefully received!

Peter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to consider the total cumulative time for this application.
Use the 10,000 hr curve.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

SlipperyPete...

Aluminum is a VERY poor choice for material in the temperature range You've noted... especially 6061.

6061-T6 is service rated ~300F... but anything more than VERY short spikes [a few minutes] at 250C/485F will degrade it to an oxidized and annealed condition very swiftly.

The only structural material I am aware of that can sustain operational temps at 350F [barely] is 2219-T6... and that should be anodized or [better] IVD [pure] aluminum coated to minimize oxidation.

Unsure what aluminum alloys are used for high performance pistons... but they would be 'best suited' for sustained high temp/stress operations.... but 485F is a sketchy 'stretch' for any aluminum alloy.

HOWEVER IF You really see a steady 485F, and minimum mass combined with strength/stiffness retention is required, then You need to consider titanium or steel alloys... with anodic, metallic or ceramic coatings for an oxidizing atmosphere.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Many thanks for your response Wil. I intend to argue against the use of this material and will use your response as additional ammunition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back