Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect of legs on heads in vertical vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.

veneko

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2007
ES
Dear Colleagues:

Ussually, when I perform calculations of leg supports, they are attached to shell but in this case legs are welded directly to head or using pads. Could anyone tell
me where I can get this info in order to perform respective calculations.

Thanks in advanced for your best efforts

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on how they are attached, you may be able to apply local stress calculations from WRC-107.

Veneko,

I can aggree with JStephen in that a WRC 107 approach is the way to go. Just a precaution in that your pads do not fall in the head nuckle area, but I expect you know this.

Thanks for your promptly answer and sorry for disturbs.
Time goes by that i don't perform this calculations . In my memory, I'm totally sure i performed them, but with some limitations ( to localize pads and legs in the spherical part of head for to avoid problems in knuckle area for to apply WRC-107 or Biljard's method, knuckle area is prohibited to put there sopports or nozzles that can suppose additional load).

But, take in account above comment,10 years of experience in PV design (up to 1999) and 8 year working in a different branch, I though that handbooks as Moss or Bednar could be re-updated or something like that for to include this calc, sorry for my imprudence. This problem appears because final client have serious problems with support space in his shop and I try to bring him a rasonable answer.

Colleagues, thanks for your help and I must to read again to refresh the memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back