Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

effective length of Cantilever 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicam

Structural
Nov 15, 2007
AU
Hi I'm currently designing a steel awning structure and I'm trying to determine the effective bending length, AS4100 has 3 k factors kt, kl & kr for segment lengths. I know that with cantilever beams kt = 1.1, kl = 2 & kr = 1 for unrestrained members.

my awning is attached.

the outrigger members(cantilever) are laterally restrainted at both flanges (top & btm) at 1.2m c/c the total length of the outriggers are 4.9m & 3.7m, the end of the cantilever is fixed to the sourrounding truss. The supporting column is 5.3m high and has no intermediate restraints. so my effective bending length is 11.66m

should the ouriggers Le be 10.78 & 8.14m?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

only because I wasn't sure if you need to consider the whole cantilever length or just the segment lengths.

When designing simple beams I would use the segment length between the restraints but thought the rules are different for cantilevers.

The T frame is stable, I designed something very similar the other day.

When the load is a gravity load and it is acting through the shear centre to cause a destabilizing action then yes the effective lengths will be as you mentioned.

The size of the column with be stiffness-governed for an unbalanced live load acting on one T-frame only. As for the rafters, they would either be stiffness or strength controlled.

I haven't got a steel code in my hand but I would do the following

1. Look at the end restraints for the outriggers. If you make the connection between the outrigger and column as providing lateral and torsional restraints and restarint against rotation on plan and then provide lateral restaint only at the tip of the outrigger you can take an effective length (Le) for the cantilever of between 0.7 and 1.0 times the span as the loads you have do not appear to be destabilizing..

2. For the column I would take an effective length of 2 times the height of the column.

3. The deflection check is very important and I would use the computer model to find the deflection. I would probably set the deflection limit around height/200 depending on how sensitive your roof cladding is to deflections. If it metal cladding you could go to 1/100 for deflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back