Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effective Plastic Strain?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDM84

Automotive
Oct 13, 2011
GB
Hello everyone,

Can any please let me know, what exactly is effective plastic strain as I am bit confused about it.
Is there any formula for this or do we have to calculate from stress-strain data?

Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I want to perform crash analysis in LS Dyna.
My material Aluminium honey comb block.
Since I have shell model so I am using Piecewise Linear Plasticity model in LS Dyna so in this material model I need to use Effective plastic strain values and corresponding yield stress values. Actually I am confused about what does this effective plastic strain mean? and is it possible from compression test to obtain Stress vs Strain data? which I can use for this analysis. And values from Engineering or true stress-strain curve do we have to use for such analysis?
I am preety much new in crash analysis field and finding these material properties for honeycomb is little difficult for me now. So I hope anyone with knowledge of compression or tensile test and how to extract that data from test to obtain stress-strain curve will be really helpful.

Thanks

@Jetgirl8
Many thanks for the link. Recently I had training for LS Dyna but finding material properties to use in those material cards is little difficult as of now cause I am trying to which test shall I perform so that I can end up with yield stress v/s effective plastic strain plot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back