Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Effective Wind Area for Metal Roof Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

zackngineer

Structural
Jan 31, 2024
US
I have a question on calculating effective wind areas for metal roof panels.

Parameters:

ASCE 7-22
Florida
160 Vult
Exposure C
MRH: 21'
97' W x 146' L
Primarily Hip Roof
ASD pressures
Components & Cladding

Definitions:

Effective wind area per ASCE 7-22 is: "Effective wind area is the area of the building surface used to determine (GCp). This area does not necessarily correspond to the area of the building surface contributing to the force being considered. Two cases arise. In the usual case, the effective wind area does correspond to the area tributary to the force component being considered. For example, for a cladding panel, the effective wind area may be equal to the total area of the panel. For a cladding fastener, the effective wind area is the area of cladding secured by a single fastener. A mullion may receive wind from several cladding panels. In this case, the effective wind area is the area associated with the wind load that is transferred to the mullion." for case 1.

For case 2: "The second case arises where components such as roofing panels, wall studs, or roof trusses are closely spaced. The area served by the component may become long and narrow. To better approximate the actual load distribution in such cases, the width of the effective wind area used to evaluate (GCp) need not be taken as less than one-third the length of the area. This increase in effective wind area has the effect of reducing the average wind pressure acting on the component. Note, however, that this effective wind area should only be used in determining (GCp) in Figures 30.3-1 through 30.3-6. The induced wind load should be applied over the actual area tributary to the component being considered." This case does not apply to the scenario I have described below.

Scenario:

If we were to worst case our roof, we would look at the smallest effective area. On a standard hip roof, that would be the panel installed in the outermost corner of the roof. The effective area for this panel typically ranges from 3-6 SF (3' wide panel * panel length). For Zone 3, OHS (Overhang w/ soffit), </= 10 SF., the uplift in this area is -109 PSF per MecaWind. This number is not unusual or higher than expected. That being said, the issue I run into is the metal roofing product approvals always have VERY low design pressures relative to the building design pressures. In this example, the client wants to use "29 GA. Pro-Panel II" by Metal Sales Manufacturing Corp (See attached product approval). The design pressures allowable are 41.6 PSF for 24" fastener spacing and 71.5 for 12" fastener spacing. Neither of these meet our required design pressure. I run into this very frequently on metal roofing jobs. We do a lot of metal roofing jobs. Usually, I send it back to the contractor and say they need to pick a different panel. Usually they do and usually the new one they pick will meet the design pressure requirement. That being said, in this case, I have seen this panel installed on similar structures in the same general area. This gives me pause. So, my question is, am I analyzing this problem incorrectly or does this product simply not meet the requirements of the building I am evaluating?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cb405ec0-eecc-4306-a06d-a2b9d0d56713&file=Metal_Roofing_FL14645_R5_II_EvaluationReportC2673_12.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use the fastener spacing for the effective wind area of metal panel. This is no more than 5 ft[sup]2[/sup] for the buildings I do.

The wind pressure from MecaWind is probably ultimate wind, and the Florida Approval Report lists allowable wind.
0.6 * 109 = 65.4psf
That panel works with 12" spacing.

Thank you for the response. I usually just calculate the effective area to whatever the product approval does their DP's to. In this case it is fastener, but the effective area is less than 10 SF whether I look at the fastener EA or the panel EA so the DP holds. Also, I have Meca set up to show allowable wind not ultimate. The .6 LF is already accounted for. I've attached the printout so you can see.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=88d25d7f-af0f-4da0-90cc-1659538a0110&file=23R014_Quiroz_Residence_ASCE_7-22_Hip.pdf
You'll want to check that MecaWind is reporting correctly. Page 5 has the zone 3 overhang suction as 84.82psf.

Since you are just looking at the roof panel:
GCp for zone 3 = -2.4
qh from Meca = 35.85psf
panel suction = 35.85 * (-2.4 - .18) = -92.49psf

That panel still doesn't work, but it will be easier to find a similar one that does.

Thanks for the response. The Zone 3_OHS you are referencing is 4x8 which we use for our sheathing nail pattern. The one that needs to be looked at is on the last page under "wind pressure summary." I will go back and check the Meca output just to be sure but from what it seems, you're looking at it the same way I am which means the panel doesn't work. Our project coordinator took a look at it today too and she said it doesn't work either so maybe I'm just overthinking it for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back