Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EGR system 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudnine

Automotive
Mar 26, 2004
GB
I am looking at the EGR system from a cost reduction point of view and therefore not an expert in this field.
As I understand/see there is a vacuum unit on the engine which is connected by 2 plastic pipes to a solenoid unit. The solenoid is mounted in a vertical postion on the inner wing. There is an outlet at the top with no other connection to it and I presume is for measuring the external air pressure and it looks as though it is mounted vertical for a reason (I think).
I would like to mount this solenoid in another postion and at a different angle. Would this be possible?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply Gregg,
I don't want to remove any of the parts, just relocate the solenoid. The way it is positioned and having a 'breather' pipe on top, it looks as though it was engineering in a vertical position. Therefore I am not sure whether there is any functional point to keeping the solenoid upright.
I would want to simply re-locate the unit on a nearby bracket and eliminate its current bracket.
So from a technical point of view would the orientation of the solenoid effect its funtion?

Need to know what kind of car, the systems are different.The solenoid is used for vacuum control thru the open port. I have seen them in many different positions. Make sure nothing gets in that open port. Bub

I am with Greg and bub.

Make sure that oil, water etc won't accumulate in the open port. electric solinoid valves will normally work in any position as the are normally spring loaded against the electromagnet, but I would certainly verify that before I did any changes.

If the benifit is only $0.50 per car, the risk has to be equally small. I would think the unknown factors would normally outweigh such a small saving.

Recalls have both tangible and non tangible costs.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks for all of your responses.
Let me answer some of the point you have raised.
1) The vehicle is the 'London Taxi' also known as the 'Black Cab' in the UK.
2) It uses the Ford Dura-Torq 2.4L Diesel engine. The engine and all of the components (including the solenoid) is supplied through an agent and are not the engineers for engine.
3) I have asked the same question through the agents who in turn have asked, I beleive, the responsible Ford engineer but no reply yet. Hence the question on this site.
4) The bracket I want to remove is a 2 piece component and also previously housed a map sensor which has been redesigned and re-located. The current bracket therefore is an overkill to house the solenoid.
5) The solenoid can be simply re-located without wiring/routing/packageing problems right infront of its current position on the coolant reservoir tank bracket but it would lie at an angle.
6) The cost reduction is to remove an unnecessary large bracket rather than make changes to the EGR system. The cost save would be in the region of $4.00 for the bracket!

From your comments above, I think that the re-location and it orientation would be OK as long as I make provision to make sure the top port remains clear at all times. I will, of course push for a definitive answer from the responsible engineer.

I would appreciate any further comments just to confirmor issues this raises.

Much Appreciated,
Hash

Looks good to me, make sure the open port still has the foam filter on it. Those egr solenoids have a low failure rate. Good luck Bub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back