Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EHV power lines underground - Costs vs Surface 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPW363

Petroleum
Oct 13, 2006
US
Does anyone have a comparison of costs and challenges for EHV distribution underground. I am interested in whether or not the lifecycle cost of a burried system is really much worse than for overhead lines.

The base case system would consist of 500kV lines delivering 1000MVA. The length underground would be 10km.

I know line burial is feasible but also wonder what the challenges would be if we opted to install the 500kV to 34.5kV transformers underground as well.

Fanciful?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For 500 kV, the cost of underground might be as much as 10 to 12 times the cost for an equivalent overhead circuit.

Underground 500 kV transformer? Don't think so. Not unless you first build something about size of an aircraft hangar underground to put it in.

My cost ratio of 10 to 12 times was just for the transmission line.

The 10 to 12 is very different to data provided by Brugg - of course they are a vendor. The fact is, some 4% of the transmission lines in the UK are underground - most for good reasons like being near airports or being new lines run in cities or urban areas.

I've read a few articles suggesting the systems cost between 2 and 5 times the surface system - this takes no account of the life-cycle costs. Do others have examples or data they can share?

Robert

The difference probably has to do with right-of-way acquisition costs. Overhead lines need more land but are considerably less expensive to construct while the underground line needs less land but costs considerably more. Local conditions will drive the actual cost comparison.

We installed 10 miles of underground 138kV a couple of years ago that was about 10x and now we estimate at 20x overhead cost due to big increase in copper conductor cost.

Thanks guys, this helps somewhat.

Our case is somewhat unusual though. The lines must be run through a forest with marsh-like ground surface. To complicate matters the region is classified as a 'riparian widerness'. We have an idea of how much it will cost to clear a right-of-way and of how much it will cost to drill horizontal, long-reach, conduits, the challenge is therefore to get a comparison of a) pylons and cleared ROW, vs b) underground cables, connectors, terminations etc.

Would the 2-5 ratio be correct in that case.

Also the region is very cold for most of the year so ice maybe an issue.

We know there is a risk of stakeholder objections to the lines hence the need to look at an underground option.

It will never be only twice as much. It sounds like you are trying to justify a decision you want to make.

If this is a serious project, you really need to carry out a study and do the cost comparison for this actual installation. Directional drilling of UG circuits is not cheap either. You should be able to get assistance from local contractors in doing a more accurate cost estimate.

I agree with dpc. A detailed study is needed. For a 500 kV project, who would commit to agreeing to put the line underground based on anonymous responses in an on-line forum that says 2-5 times overhead cost is OK?

Keith,

Yes, but it is REALLY expensive. Typically it is an oil-filled system, but I hear rumors of solid dielectric (XLPE?) 500 kV cable on the market now.

115 kV and 230 kV cables are a little more practical.

Thanks keep the info coming.

We would of course not progress any project without a detailed engineering assessment! This thread is more for my benefit than the teams, that said there has been some useful input -especially the eureletric report.

The majority of cost seems to be in set-up i.e. hiring & transporting plant etc. What would be the effect of economies of scale if the length was 220km rather than 15km or even 2200km?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back