Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EIT exam choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryver

Aerospace
Jun 11, 2003
US
I have not come to the point yet when I am going to take the EIT exam, and have not yet decided if I am going to. I have read a lot of differing opinions on the EIT and PE exams in the forums over the last few months. One thing that I am curious about, as a Senior in Aerospace engineering which exams would I take? There seem to be exams for nearly every other Engineering Degree but not Aerospace. Would this account for my instructors and advisors not talking about the exam, nor encouraging my classmates and myself from taking it? I am just looking for some input and suggestions. After looking at some of the examples, passing the general EIT does not seem to be too difficult if I take it sometime in the next year or right after I graduate. I guess my question is, If as an Aerospace Engineer I was to take the EIT and possibly later the PE exams, which version should I take?

Thanks for ideas and help,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are at all considering taking the PE, take the EIT (or whatever it is called these days) as soon as you can... it's out of the way and you don't have to take it again (if you take the PE within the alloted time frame - 10 years?) I'd suggest taking it your last semester..

It is one of things that becomes much harder to do the longer you wait... (kind of exponentially as you leave school)

As an ex-Aerospace Engineering student turned EE ('69-'70 was a very bad year for Aerospace), I would think that the Mechanical or General sections (for the afternoon session) would be more appropriate -- you might check with your state jourisdiction for what areas might be a prerequisite for your PE (again, what area do you choose?)...

I took both exams prior to the specialization, so I can't give much more advice... other than encourage you to take the EIT soon -- if nothing else, it'll give you the experience and the headaches from such a rigorous exam...

I would definately take it even if you dont think you will get a PE. It leaves that option open later on. If your like me when I graduated, I was not certain of my career path but took the EIT to keep the options open. Besides, as was pointed out, you will forget alot of it as the years go by.

Definitely pass the EIT while you're still in school. Enough doors close inadvertantly to compound the problem by closing them intentionally.

A few employers outside the CE world do place value on the EIT, if for no other reason than it provides some validation of your overall knowledge.

I've met several AERO's working outside the aerospace industry so you never know how things are going to work out.

Probably ME subjects would be the closest to your academic course of study.

For the "new" FE/EIT format (it changed in 1995) everyone takes the same test in the morning. In the afternoon you can choose another 4 hours of general or one of about 5 specialty areas. Since it is a mostly closed book exam the vast majority of folks take the general in the afternoon so they don't have to spend a lot of time studying for two completly different exams.

Since about 1/3 my graduate ME books (in fluids and thermo) were also required for the Aero MS program, I'd say the closest might be ME with Fluids & Thermo in the afternoon session. I found it hard to believe that folks designing airplanes and space ships couldn't get a PE stamp in their discipline, but I just looked at and you're right. We're an "industry" that changes slowly.

David

Dryver:

Take the EIT as soon as you can. It definately gets harder the longer you wait (a year is a long time!). As for which afternoon section to take, I would suggest you just take the general section. I will say though, I took the chemical eng. specific test in the afternoon and found it to be VERY easy..... I think half of the questions revolved around finding the volumetric flow, pipe area, or fluid velocity given any of the other two (Q=AV). [tongue]

Good Luck!

jproj

Thanks for all the advice,
I will probably take it either this fall or next spring depending on how my class schedule looks. I think I will end up taking the general, as the mechanical has a few sections not covered in aerospace, specifically HVAC, Fans and pumps, and the material processing section, which together would be a good bit of extra study to learn for the test. Talking to a state board would almost be futile with my history of moving for education. So far I have gone through Highschool in WA, Undergrad in IA, and currently in PA on internship. So only God knows which state I will end up in next. :)

I do wonder though why there is not a test for aerospace engineers along with a PE. Maybe the degree is just too broad to be easily tested, but I will deal with that when I get to it.

Thanks again,
J.G

When I took it, you did not have a choice as to what subject area. I also thought it was weighted towards mechanical engineers. Glad to hear they have changed this to be more equal across the disciplines.

I started as an ME, finished as a CE with emphasis in structures. I was too lazy to study and found myself looking through the General and CE sections trying to find out which section I liked. Well, the ME in me won out, as half the Afternoon general questions were thermo and fluids, and I passed overall above the curve.

The FE/EIT is now a nationally standardized test. Upon passing, and submitting a transcript to the state in which you took the test, and hopefully completed your education, you recieve a form noting your dicsipline and your EIT number. It does not matter if you pass the EIT by taking your specialy or general. I would take general in the afternoon and be done with it.

Good luck,

Try to go to a EIT Review and buy the handbook you get to use during the test so you can flip through it easily.

Daniel

I am taking the EIT exam next week. I regret horribly not taking it when I graduated in 2000.

I watch several people at my work struggle through studying, etc. at an older age, with kids and wives, etc. I hope I can just pass this thing and it over with ONE TIME. I feel insecure about a lot of the topics because, even three years out of school, all the details fade away.

Good luck to any others going for the EIT or PE.

Tracy

Anybody try taking the EIT and PE exam at the same time? How did it go? I heard the pass rate is about 50% when attempting both in the same timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back