Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EIT exam in PA???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfisher42

Civil/Environmental
Jul 22, 2005
US
I have been out of college for a little over a year (civil B.S.)and all the while been contemplating the exam and eventually becoming a PE. Now I have realized I atleast want to pass the EIT, even if I decide to not become a PE in the future. I'm under the impression that if I pass the EIT I could always take the PE whenever down the road. Does that make sense? In what ways and were will I be able to find quality review materials? Any other advice about the EIT exam would be greatly apprciated, I'm the type of person that is not expecting to take the exam more than once.

thanks for the info.,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good move. In the civil world, you will quickly - within 7 years or so - hit a glass ceiling in both earnings and upward movement without a license.

The sooner out of school, the better for the EIT. I'm not at all sure if I could pass today, and I would definitely need a lot more review than you to pass it.

I got through the PE in PA using info and materials here, I'm sure their FE info is just as good:

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

You are correct. Upon passing the FE exam (EIT), you must then practice engineering full time for a minimum of 4 years before you are elegible to sit for the PE exam.

Having taken the FE just over two years ago, brush up on your thermodynamics, especially if you plan to take the general exam both morning and afternoon.

The PPI stuff helped me with my PE exam, too. Just remember to download the errata from their website.

------------------------------------------
"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail."

Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

Be sure to have a copy of the NCEES reference handbook on hand when you study for the EIT (FE) exam. It has a lot of formulas that you may also find useful in your day to day work.
You can download it and print out a copy.

Work lots of problems, including a practice exam. Try to borrow or buy recent materials for study - the exam format changed several years back and its better to prepare with material that is comparable to the exam.

By the way, I passed the FE after being out of college for a few years - it can be done!

BelspringKen gives excellent advice -- the NCEES reference book is the only resource you're allowed in the exam, so it pays to be familiar with it.

Also make sure you have an allowed calculator and do not write in the reference book. They will take your calculator away from you if it is not one of the two allowed types (the allowed calculators cost $10 at Wal-Mart) and they tore pages out of the reference book that had been written on between sessions!

Also, I don't believe post it notes are allowed to tab your pages either, as it would be easy to pass notes or answers with post its.

By the way, we were required to take the exam prior to being allowed to graduate. I took it without any study during my senior year and passed it. But it would be quite difficult after being out of school for a while.

I recommend taking the general. It will be easier to pass in my opinion. Here's why I say that. You've been out a year or so. To go back and study general (for the morning) AND civil (for the afternoon) is a little much. However, if you study general then you are studying for the morning and afternoon test. It seemed not as overwhleming when studying. I passed it in VA and I am an Eng. for a city in OK. You never know where you will end up. Best wishes and hope you pass...go after it you will truly be pleased when you pass!

Take some time to decide if you want to take the general or the civil for the afternoon. The afternoon is the "depth" part of the exam. Perhaps you can get some practice exams and get a feel for the general vs. civil for the afternoon.

By the way, I took the civil for the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back