Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ejector Pins In NX4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallard

Aerospace
Oct 13, 2004
US
I have NX4 with mold wizard and would like to start including ejector pins in my mold assemblies. I'm not sure how to have different configurations of the same component in my assembly without having to create a different model for each ejector pin length required. For example if I have 5 3/8" ejector pins all having the same part number but with different lengths is there a way I can insert and mate my standard 3/8" ejector pin into my assembly but trim the 5 pins to different lengths? I know mold wizard has an ejector pin function but I don't know how to use it or if it is the best way. Any ideas?

Thanks!

t.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One way you can do this without using mold trim (I don't use mold trim), is you could put all of the pins that you need in to the mold design.. Then you can promote them in prod file and use the core trim sheet to trim them yourseld(you will also have to wave link the core trim sheet to your prod file as well. This is the way I do things when I have too many pins to put in that all need a different contour on them.

you can use mold trim also.. All you have to do is pick the pins that you want to trim and give a fit distance. If I remember right I have not used this since v17 or 18. I didn't like the way it worked back then and I just never gave it another shot. Plus I don't us moldwizards ej pins. I've made my own component so I could controll how the work.

Hope that helps out a little bit,

Brookey

Brookey,

It sounds like you are doing it the way I'd prefer to. The only think I use mold wizard for is the get the block sizes to my BOM.

Can you explain how you are promoting the ejector pins in your prod file? I'm not familiar with the term "promote" in UG.

Thanks!

t.

You would make the prod file your work part
Insert-->associative copy-->promote.. Then pick the pins that you want to promote. Then you will be able to use a trim sheet to trim the pins to. Like I said before you will have to link the trim sheet for the core (if that is the side the pins are on) into the prod file as well. After you have linked the trim sheet in and promoted the pins just use the regular trim body command.

You will also have to make sure your customer defaults file allows promotions

customer defaults-->assemblies-->general--->interpart modeling tab. Make sure the allow feature promotions is checked.

If you need to know anything else let me know and I'll help you out.

Brookey

I just thought of one more thing to tell you. You might take a look at your ej pin clearance and make sure that you will have a good fit distance on all of the pins. Since the clearance depth will be the same on all of those pins. You might have to add some more fit length to the holes...

Just FYI

Brookey

Brookey,

Thanks so much for your help on this one. I have never used promotions before. One more stupid question, what are you calling your "prod" file. I have my assembly model (call it mold design) with the cores, cavities, etc as components of that assembly.

Thanks!

t.

Well does your ass'y structure have a "layout" file? If it does you should have a file under layout that is called "prod".. If your company hasn't changed the ass'y structure to something else.

But it should be the sub ass'y that your core, cavity and parting files are in.

Hope that helps!

Brookey

Brookey,

It sounds like you are using mold wizard to set up your assembly structure. I am just creating my assemblies from scratch. After reading the help file on promotions it sounds like as long as my mold assembly is the active part I can promote my ejector pins to the top level assembly and trim the ends. I'm just not sure how well it's going to work when I have to promote the same part more than once. It sounds like a plan though. Thanks again for your help.

t.

I see how you're using it. In that case you are correct, just promote the pins to the top level assy and the trim sheet.

Promoting the same file many times is not a problem at all. I think you'll find that this will do what you need.

Brookey

Have you thought of creating pins of different lengths in the part file and having a different reference set for each lenght? Would that work for you?

Al

Al,

I hadn't considered that option. The lengths are generally odd numbers and most of the time the end of the pin has some contour on it because it is trimmed with the shape of the part. I think you have a good idea for flat pins though.

Thanks!
t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back