Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ejector Pump Cavitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblin

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2002
CA
I'm using an ejector pump driven by high pressure fuel boosting a low pressure (~ 2 psia) source of fuel by 10-15 psi. It is advantageous for my system to use a high temperature (~250 F) primary flow. My concern is that this high temperature translates to a high vapor pressure and increased potential for cavitation. The secondary flow is relatively cold, say ~ 50 F.

The handbook I have for ejector pump design quotes cavitation requirements as a function of vapor pressure but doesn't consider the case of primary and secondary flows at different temperatures.

Any references, papers, or suggestions on this topic?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I base the vapor pressure on the primary flow temp ie 250 I get a much higher required secondary pressure than if I base it on the secondary temperature. Somehow it makes sense to me that the true requirement would depend on both temp's. I don't really have the luxury of being conservative ie. base it on the highest temp so I'd like to know where the real reqmt is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back