Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electric (not electronic) circuit simulation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

recs

Electrical
Nov 14, 2004
US
Does anybody knows of a software that can draw and calculate steady state single phase electrical circuits? I have SKM but is not what I want. SKM is an excellent program but it can't draw the single phase schematic diagrams, including phase, neutral, and equipment grounding conductors and then calculate the voltage at each equipment during a ground fault.

I summary, I need a software that can draw single phase schematics, including the utility information, transformers, wires (phase, neutrals, and equipment grounding conductors). Then simulate a ground fault in a bus, and obtain the ground fault current in the circuit and the voltage of each equipment affected by this fault.

I have tried Circuit Lab, Spice, Quacs, etc. They all are good to draw the schematics, but are more oriented to analyze electronic circuits with AC simulations in time domain or frequency domain (changing values with respect to time or frequency). But not a steady state ground fault condition modeling the utility with a maximum fault and nominal voltage.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use PSIM for simple and more complex simulations. Especially power. It doesn't cost too much and is easy to learn for the occasional user (like me). Have used it for anything from steady state to transient solutions and simple RL circuitry like ground grids to frequency inverters and AS-i communication.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back