Electric Utility Pole Line Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRMEE

Electrical
Feb 17, 2003
US
To: Electric power engineering Forum readers

I have been charged with checking on the manhours required and costs associated with installing the pieces of a utility electrical distribution system.

Does anyone have a data source that they would be willing to share for the manhours and costs to erect electric utility poles, lines, transformers and associated equipment.

I know every utility has their own standards and might track this type of data. Also, the Rural Utility Service has a standard drawing system and someone might track that installation information. I already reference the NECA Manual of Labor Units, although it is limited for this type of work.

Thanks in advance,

JRMEE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Estimating guides typically have little information on this type of work. You should consult a local line building contractor (or two). Sometimes utilities are willing to share that sort of info also (municiples tend to be more open).

We have developed spreadsheets to estimate manhours, but we still go out and ask contractors for estimates on jobs before going out to bid. (The actual cost often depends on the time of year you are asking for a price.) Most of them are eager to provide some input, especially if it gives them a jump on their competition to estimate a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back