Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electrical Conductivity in NBR Compounds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elastoman

Materials
Aug 20, 2003
US
How would the electrical conductivity compare on two compounds only having the difference that one is based on "clean" NBR and the other on traditional NBR that would contain residual salts and fatty acids?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, of course the "clean version" will be better in terms of resistivity, but the other aspects of compounding ingredients can override that effect pretty easily. Electrical property compounding is a little subset of the industry. You may want to have the U of Akron library do a literature search.

I have seen some work on those lines, but the studies were proprietary to clients so I cannot say much more about them. The polymer manufacturer might have such data, although in these days of minimal tech support they seem to be doing the least possible in way of property exploration.

I have seen salts which alter the conductivity of elastomers drastically, even in very small amounts. I don't remember exactly what they were, probably metal complexes. If i'm not mistaken Miliken (a pigment manufacturer) in Europe was doing some research on it.

Giacaglia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back