Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical Connector Grounding / Bonding to aluminum panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A typical requirement would be .0005 Ohm per interface. To achieve this a clean smooth contact patch is required or a series of close tolerance fasteners or rivets.  What is the application and on what type of structure?

Thank you for the response. I am looking at 1/16" to 1/8" thick aluminum panels plated with chromate conversion coatings. Threaded fasteners, rivets, and other designs would be used. Bill B.  

You can bond directly to a panel using a bolt, nut, washer, and terminal  combination. If this is for current return purposes a #10-32 can handle 35 AMPs Max, 1/4-28 100A, 5/16-28 200A and 3/8-24 245A. The surface under the contact area must be cleaned to bare metal. The bolt/screw,pressure washer and nut should be Cadmium plated and an anti-corrosion washer of bare 2024 be placed on both sides against the plate to prevent galvanic corrosion. The terminal should be tin plated or nickel plated. The finished build up should be sealed from moisture and the plate finishes restored on exposed areas.

Thank you again. Any good books or standards on grounding / bonding? Thank you. <p>William H. Bernhart, P.E.<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I am using my company design manuals at the moment. I do have some references at home which I can check although I think they will be for signal shielding.

Dear Kaival,<br>Thank you for the responses. I could use the info on signal shielding since a cvable must be terminated to the structure. Thank you again. <p>William H. Bernhart, P.E.<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You want to be careful using Nickel terminals with Cadmium plated fasteners(familiar with NiCd batteries!?), especially if you are around moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back