Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

electrical design/drafting industry trends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tintin75

Electrical
Sep 20, 2007
NL
greetings all, I am quite new to electrical drafting so I have a few questions and if you are kind enough to give an opinion, please indicate what country you are form so that I may know whether you are IEC or ANSI.

I believe schematic diagrams are made for those who must fault find and wiring diagrams are for those who wire but I notice with existing drawings at my company, they seem to be a hybrid. Is this this common nowadays? I work in control of HV equipment.
For e.g the schematics show all the earth wires and some symbols look quite like a wiring symbol.
Should I be worried about putting too much detail into my schematic? as in it could detract from the readable logic?
of course I'm using CAD and that means entering all connections so that my reporting is correct.

Also I would like to know about how typically the controls engineer and the electrical designer/draftsman work in together. I.E. Is the controls engineer obligated to provide a sequence of operation or a flowchart to his drafter or is it quite acceptable to say contract xyz is alot like contract ABC so use that logic? I know its a pretty broad question and the size & complexity of the project must determine alot but I would love to hear from some other ppl fulfilling these roles.
My apologies for the questions not being quite so technical but your feedback might determine whether my current situation is the norm and therfore will help me make some career decisions.
regards TT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use and specify NFPA 79 (old JIC) format in a US foundry operation. That way I have it consistent to aid in troubleshooting for the maintenance folks. They what sheet and line to look at by the wire number...

In re: the logic, for troubleshooting help I often include a timing chart, event or time for each change of state for the outputs.
//jh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back