Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical steel and wirecutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

123Cat

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2003
AU
Good Morning
Yes as the title

If I manufacture a stator will that wirecut surface degrade my electrical quality

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All the lamination's are stacked together , welded on the edge ( it welds nice , I guess its the high silicon )

Then the stator is edm wirecut out of the centre of the stack

Thank you

Got it straight in my head now

No carbon ,,, no hardening

No punching ,, no work hardening taking place

Just a thin oxidised surface , quite thin ,, no effects

But if the recast metal on edges causes the lams to have electrical continuity with each other then your rotor losses will be higher. The lams are supposed to be insulated from each other.
We never welded, we always used the rotor bars as 'rivets' to hold it together.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I know all of the responses so far must be guesses, because the problem statement is incomprehensible.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Thanks very much Ed Stainless

The stacking and and wire cutting operation is to get the stator shape

I then seperate all the laminations and restack them all with insulation between each one

and wind copper wire around them

There is just about zero carbon in the steel

So I assume the edm wire cut operation does not change any steel characteristic , electrically wise

No it doesn't change anything as the damage is very shallow. Some people us an light abrasive to remove many edge buts that might form from the cutting, but as long as you are not being overly aggressive they should be fairly smooth.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back