Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

electro-mechanical solenoid for an old steam turbine driver pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

huangdf118

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2017
US
I am working on a project to install pump/driver trip systems on about 350 pumps based on measurement of high pump vibration. The one pump in question for me has a steam turbine driver (which prevents us from simply splicing into the motor start/stop switch to stop the pump as I am doing with most others in the project). The steam turbine is old enough that the manufacturer does not have a low-cost readily-available solution – their offered solution was overly complex and very expensive. Therefore, we felt that it would be more cost-effective to engineer our own.

Our little joint side-job in this larger project is to devise a simple system which accepts an electrical signal from the pre-engineered “to-be-installed” vibration detection module, and mechanically pulls on the external trip-lever of the steam-turbine. We can likely make use of one of several available options of electro-mechanical solenoid, so it may just be as simple as designing a suitable mounting bracket.

My puzzling is how to devise a simple system, your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have a dozen or so turbines armed to trip in a manner similar to what you are describing. What is the make and model of your turbine?

For Elliott YR turbines, an electric solenoid is positioned above the trip. I have attached sketch of that arrangement.

For Dresser (Turbodyne, Worthington) turbines, they use a spring loaded pneumatic actuator. If the turbine uses circulating lube oil, it is actuated with lube oil pressure. If the turbine has no circulating oil system, it uses instrument air with an electronic solenoid to bleed off the air pressure. I will try to find a drawing of that mechanism.

Johnny Pellin

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=46a84e26-37a1-485f-b0de-f72288e883bb&file=ElliottTrip2.bmp
Thanks. The steam turbine is Terry type Z-1 (Built by 1958). Terry has been out of business. I didn't get the drawings yet. Are you familiar with Terry turbine (1958).

Thank you again

Yes. We have four Terry turbines. One of them was a model Z-1 installed in 1955. Unfortunately, that one was taken out of service and scrapped. That was a strange little turbine. That is the only one I have ever worked on that had a water wheel style of wheel and buckets. I don’t recall how the trip linkage was configured. I found a sketch of the mechanism used on Dresser/Turbodyne/Worthington turbines. A version of this or the Elliott style in my first posting might work with some adapter hardware. If I have some time tomorrow, I will look through the file for our old Terry Z-1. By the way, Terry was bought by Dresser-Rand and they still provide us parts and service for our old Terry turbines.

Johnny Pellin

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=63fd0ca6-227d-4065-9b80-aa181eb6f4e8&file=Capture.JPG
One of our newer Terry turbines is a similar model (18ZS-1) installed in about 1979. That one has a similar trip linkage. I found a drawing, but am having a hard time figuring out exactly how the latch moves. I have attached the sketch. In any case, a electrical/mechanical trip mechanism like the Elliott "hatchet" design could probably be adapted to unlatch the linkage on an external signal.

Johnny Pellin

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c6d5a2fd-b789-424a-a0a2-4205db7ee062&file=Capture.JPG
We would rarely have an existing control valve on the steam supply line. If you have one, of course you would use it to shut down the turbine. Why did you even consider otherwise?

Johnny Pellin

Thanks for your information.
I took some pictures in the field. No control valves. The drive trip is assemble of plug valve and butterfly valve. Please see the picture, we need a signal to trigger the action of "pull up" on a lever.
The Elliot Hatchet should be working, the other option is a simple lever with solenoids. A structure needs to be created, in order to avoid blocking the "busy area", the mechanism can be anchored either on the top of the structure or side of the structure.

I tried to contact Elliot Group for the genetic dimensions of their Hatchet assemble (with a solenoid), but failed. It would be the easiest way to modify and install the Elliot Hatchet assemble. Any suggestions

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7348f366-5af0-42ad-9613-a3f328e49cc3&file=DriveTrip_01.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back