Electronic enclosure - Failing Drop test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guuy27

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2018
GB
Hi,

Was just wondering if I could be pointed in the right direction....

We have a an electronic enclosure which is 445x248x125mm manufactured from Aluminium 6082-T6 which has sensitive flexures and piezoelectric crystals mounted inside. This technology is fixed and cannot be changed to improved strength etc. The product has always been in a carefully controlled environment so shock/vibration hasn't been a massive problem. However, a new customer requirement means the part needs to survive a 4 inch drop test in all directions. Upon doing this with the enclosure hard mounted it caused the flexures to buckle and the product to fail. Space constraints are an issue as unusual... I think the solution could be quite simple if shock was in one direction, however with every axis and direction being subjected to drop tested I'm struggling to find an elegant solution.

I'm currently doing physical tests to work out what g-level the product initially fails at to help with designing a dampening system which will prevent g-levels going above this.

Any help would be grateful, also If you need any more information please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Guy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The typical solutions are, given your constraints:
> isolation -- insulate the instrument with foam, etc.
> physical protection -- since the drop test is a non-op test, maybe there are ways to lock down the instrument to prevent damage

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Guuy27,

Your parts are failing because they are seeing high rates of acceleration. There has to be something springy between the external structure and the delicate electronics within.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back