Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

electronic signatures on stamped drawings 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwilson64

Civil/Environmental
Nov 20, 2006
A2
The company that i work for has long used electronic seals on our drawings, which are physically signed by the engineer once the drawing has been plotted. I believe that this has become quite common. we are considering using electronic signatures, imported as an image, on the drawings as well. what concerns or drawbacks, if any, are associated with this practice? (Our procedure only allows access to the signatures through a password by the EOR.)

Thanks,
mwilson64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

csd72

In the USA, I would not have to prove anything. The burden of proof is always on the accuser. You say I sealed something? Prove it. If you can't prove I sealed it, I have no liability. The only thing I have to do is truthfully answer your questions while under oath: "Steve, did you seal this drawing (holds up a plan Steve did not seal)?" "No, ma'am, I did not." "Thank you, nothing further for this witness." Pretty short trial, don't you think?

In the USA, I would not have to prosecute anyone. The person who wrongly accused me of sealing something which he/she could not prove I sealed - after paying my legal fees, and anything my lawyer could wring out of him/her for slander, defamation of character, etc - would have to do that, if they had any $$ left to do it. The only thing I have to do is truthfully answer your questions while under oath: "Steve, do you know who forged this drawing (holds up a plan Steve did not seal)?" "No, ma'am, I do not, but my analysis of the companies network routings shows beyond any doubt it was plotted by (blank) at precisely (this time on this day, from this computer, to this plotter)." "Thank you, nothing further for this witness. I now call (blank), the person too ignorant of modern technology to not plot a forged document." Another pretty short trial, I would imagine.

In the USA, if there was no signature on the drawings, then they are not sealed or forged or valid, so that scenario doesn't apply to the OP.

Again (to both points), US law, as I recall from history classes, is largely based on English law, so I have to assume the situation is the same in UK.

Again (to both points), US law, as I recall from history classes, is largely based on English law, so I have to assume the situation is the same in UK.

Signature under construction, sorry about the mess - Steve

In Ohio the 'authority having jurisdiction' dictates what is required (stamped, embossed, signed etc.) but for smaller projects the state has started doing electronic walk-throughs involving the transfer of a single pdf drawing file that is then reviewed, stamped approved and then encrypted. The file then cannot be modified only printed. More food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back