Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Element Orientation Vector 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kacstic

Structural
Jun 6, 2007
US
I just started using NEiNastran v9.02 recently and for practice, i am modeling basic line models (steel beam structure for example).

When I mesh each line (or curve), I designate the material, beam cross section, and then it asks for the element orientation vector. I presume this is to identify the major and minor axis of the cross section.

However, when I have a beam that is not horizontal or vertical, obtaining the correct element orientation vector is perplexing. Is this step crucial in calculating the global stiffness of my structure? For now, I designate a unit vector in the x, y, or z axis that is not collinear to the beam's length. Thanks for the help...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your presumption is correct. The orientation vector is critical unless the beam cross-section properties do not vary with orientation, e.g., a circular section. Have you read the user's manual re beam element definition?

I have read that part but it is no help, unless I am reading the wrong one. Do you know of a better reference source than the one NEiNastran supplied? Thanks!

The figures in the CBEAM and PBEAM sections of the NEi Reference Manual are fairly clear. See also the Bar Element section in the NEiModeler (Femap) Users Guide.

Thanks! Those references helped my understanding a little more. Also the visualization of the orientation vector was helpful.

kacstic,

How about giving them a "purple star". In the lower left hand corner of all posts is a purple star and a "Thank ______ for this valuable post". Click on that for each person that gave you a valuable post and they get a vote for "Tipmaster of the week".

Thanks!

Hi I have a similar question to the one discussed here.

I am trying to mesh a line (set of curves) that uses all three golbal planes with beam elements. Is there a way I can make the element orientation vector to be always perpendicular to the direction of the curve, rather than being relative to the global coordinate system?

At the moment I get errors as at some points since the "element orientation is colinear with element x-axis". I do not want to define a random out of plane vector as the element orientation is important to the analysis.

I think you need to tell us which preprocessor you are using. At least in God's preprocessor this is fairly easy, Hypermesh, not so much. Clue: a vector can be very long.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back