Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elementary Q&A - First Time Engine Builder 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelPGriffith

Automotive
Oct 11, 2010
US
I would like to open this thread and keep it as the place that I come to seek advise on an engine build I am in the process of, without cluttering the forums with repeated elementary questions.

I'm working on a naturally aspirated build; Honda J series V6. I'm doing everything that can be managed outside of a machine shop by myself; including thorough massage of the OEM intake manifold and heads; long tube stepped headers; and many other things that a completely inexperienced person such as myself probably has no business attempting.

Here is a consolidated album that shows the current progress of my project:
At this point the intake manifold is coming along quite well and I'm getting ready to start on the heads; which leads me to my questions:

1. Where can I find some good layman's reference material on port shape and theory to help me decide how to attack the ports? (If this doesn't exist, maybe just some pointers?)

2. What would be the best method of determining the clearance between the piston @ tdc and the chamber? I want to increase the quench area.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks everyone for the input. I really do appreciate you taking the time to inform me.

I know I've seen it discussed around here in the past but I can't seem to find it now; What grit should I take the intake tract to? My guess/vague memory is 80grit but I want to get some professional opinions.

Also, should I keep it uniform from valve seat all the way to the trumpet? Or should I use a different grit pre-and-post injector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back