Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elevations / Field changes ADA Ramp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat977

Geotechnical
Jan 23, 2013
US
We ran into a problem while installing a ADA ramp. We installed a ADA ramp per the “boiler plate” details given on the plan. The only grades shown was a spot elevation at the detectable warning surface and at the old / new sidewalk transition about 20lf away.

The top of the ramp which was installed per the detail rises to an elevation 2 ½” higher than the existing sidewalk and then a slopes about 10lf. to the existing elevation. The problem is the customer and architect contend that we should have changed the elevation high point to meet the existing elevation without the slope. It is our argument that if there was to be a grade change the architect needed to show it by note or elevations shown on the plan. We all know why the architect isn't backing us up!Is there any writings to back up my argument?
Thanks,
Excavator.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you built from the plans instead of reading the architect's mind, is that right?

Unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable in this area to provide you a reference, but keep fighting the good fight, and I'll be watching this to learn how to handle this from our wiser members.

So the boiler plate detail likely showed a maximum grade that was steeper than the grade calculated between the design spot elevations at the detectable warning surface and the existing sidewalk? Did you have construction survey stakes installed?

My first reaction is something shouldn't have looked right to you when you were setting your forms and you should have paused and called the designer. I don't think I've ever seen an ADA ramp that goes up and then down, when a steady grade would work fine.

If the elevation on the detail said "X% Max," and the design grades on the grading plan showed a grade less than that max, then it should have been installed per the design grades on the plan.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

I'm a PE in CA who has designed 100s of ADA ramps (mostly road curb ramps, but some site ramps too). Typically, we show a precise graded detail on the plans (actual elevations, grades, horizontal control) so I'm confident the contractor can construct it to be ADA compliant in the field. However, certain agencies only require a "standard plan" reference with no PG detail. Even with these types of ramps I make sure the ramps will work in Civil 3D even though I won't be showing the PG detail on the plans. I have seen engineers and architects who only provide their "boiler plate" details on the plans and a call out to construct the ramp per these details. This may work for very basic ramps. However, if there is anything out of the ordinary then they are asking for the contractor to do their design for them which is not the contractor's job. If the architect left something up to interpretation, than I think it's on them.

It sounds to me like you:
1. Hit both grades shown on the plan. There are no contours or other reference information which could communicate smooth continuous transition
2. It doesn't break any rules of ADA and doesn't trigger handrails (you didn't give us enough info to judge this)
3. It doesn't break any rules of the detail.

If all of those conditions are correct, then you shouldn't have to replace it. you won't be vindicated or get rid of the sour grapes, but the architect and client will just have to accept it and move on. If your ramp is greater than 5%, you will need a 2% max landing at the top of it.... so really point #2 is the big question.

No ADA rules were broken, the ramp as installed is compliant. Once again my argument is that the architect should have either by notes or grades shown grade changes if he wanted them.

darthsoilsguy2 , cat977

Were there water traps (non-draining area or swampy areas) created by the difference?

Or, does the water now drain down towards the building with the slight slope now present? If so, that would be reason to rebuild the slope and the grade? Either a water trap or a water ponding near the building would ice over in winter too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back