Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emigration to USA - Suggestions for Finding Work as Process Engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisProcess

Chemical
Jan 24, 2008
First off apologies if this is in the Wrong section, however it seemed the most relevant to post in.
(If it should be posted elsewhere then please, direct me)

I am writing this in the hope of relocating to the United States in the coming year (aim is January 09). I'm looking for pointers etc. to maxmise my chances of getting relevant work there.

Presentley I am working as a process engineer in a design firm. (Since Aug 06.....should have 2+ years of experience on reaching the U.S). My degree is a 4 years bachelors degree in Chemical & Process Engineering. I have also completed additional courses in Computer Systems Validation & Biopharmaceutical Validation.

I am hoping to locate in New York City and so have a few questions:

1) Can anyone suggest industries to target in NYC? (Right now I'm thinking Design, Technical Support, Site Engineer & Validation roles in Oil, Biopharma, Manufacturing, Design Firms, Pharmaceutical, Equipment Supply)

2) Regarding Process Design roles, are there a large number of these Firms in NY? (I realise this is a really vague question, but in checking the various job sites, I didn't see very many mentioned)

3) Any suggestions on things to familarise myself with before moving over? Here in Europe, I'm used to dealing with EU Directives (PED, ATEX etc..). Which American equivalvents(I assume, ASME) should I familarise myself with?

4) Any rough figures for salaries for such positions & experience?

5) Any other suggestions to maxmise my chances of finding work?

I realise the 2 years of experience isn't a whole lot but I'Il do whatever I can to compensate and maximise my chances so all suggestions are welcome.

Many Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chris:

First of all, New York city is the poorest choice you could make if you wish to find work as a chemical engineer in process design.

Your best bet for finding that type of work is with one of the major engineering and construction companies such Foster Wheeler, Fluor Daniel, Parsons, Jacobs, Bechtel, Kellogg Brown & Root (KBR), and Aker Kvaerner. None of them have any engineering offices in New York city although they may well have sales offices there. Most of them are either in Houston, Texas or in California. The cost of living in the New York city area makes it much too costly for those companies to recruit employess.

If you are from the UK (all your posting says is Europe), I am quite sure that most, if not all, of the above companies have engineering offices in London. You would do well to contact them for information about job opportunites in their USA offices.

Good luck!

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Hi Milton,

Thanks for that. I'm actually located in Ireland.
Unfortunately it has to be New York (its not my choice to make). I was also looking at New Jersey in terms of jobs and there seemed to be a number of positions. I'm not sure about commutable distances etc. though.
Any general pointers about working in the U.S are also appreciated.

I'm not sure what is left in the area but Bayonne, NJ did have a fair amount of industry and isn't too far from NYC. Unfortunately there has been a fair amount of down sizing so not sure what is still there but maybe worth a check.

PFIZER'S main plant is in Graumont,NJ. They still have a Pharmaceutical plant in Ireland. You may get a lead there.

Offshore Engineering&Design

There are a couple of process design groups in NJ, close enough for a reverse commute from NY. But it would be a lot smarter to live in NJ- the income tax is about 1/2 that of NY city. NJ cities with such groups , as I recall, is west caldwell/Bloomfield and Clinton, NJ.. Be carefull about buying a house in NJ, though - the local property taxes are ridiculous- it makes a lot more sense to rent if in NJ.

From Browsing around it seems like New Jersey could be a good option.
The residence has to be in NYC (long story...).
To those familiar with that area can you suggest areas (with employment potential) within a reasonable commute from NYC?

So far I see the options as follows:
Jersey City
Bayonne

Please suggest any I may be missing.

Again, any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Sit the Fundamentals exam for the US PE registration as soon as you can. This will give your qualifications a lot more credibility in the eyes of the average American employer. You will need a few years of experience before completing the PE, but the EIT is a fine start.

Remember to change the spelling and terminology on your resume.

Thanks for all this, its proving very helpful.

KiwiMace, I assume the PE is some kind of process engineer society exam? I'm guessing its the equivalent to chartered engineers with the iChemE in the U.K.

You mention that the EIT is a fine start, can you clarify as to what this is?

Thanks for the monster search, vzeos - as I get a better idea of things I'm able to pinpoint potential areas and jobs. I hope to have a good understanding of things in the U.S before heading over

Sorry, after three years or so in this country I am guilty of throwing out the acronyms undocumented.

PE is Professional Engineer, a designation similar to the Chartered Engineer as you gleemed. Requirements are fundamentals exam , several years experience, and another exam particular to your brand of engineering.

EIT is Engineer in Training, a stepping stone designation towards getting your PE, where you have passed the Fundamentals exam only. This exam is 8hrs long, fairly hard and covers the whole gamut.

Go search the forum "How to improve myself to get ahead in my work" and you'll probably find more info and possibly me lamenting further on this subject.

A reverse commute into NJ is not a problem. If you can't drive, then your first leg of each comute would be to take the PATH trans under the Hudson to the cities of Hoboken, Jersey City, or Newark. A couple of years ago , it was only $1.50 each way. Its been a while though.

If you can drive, maybe rent a garage in those cities and also register the car in NJ ( bending the rules a little), and move thru NJ . But the eng companies in NJ have a large core of people that also commute from NYC or Long Island, so carpooling with them would make a lot of sense.

Don't be surprised to find that your income taxes in NYC will be over 50% of gross income ( adding up federal, state and city taxes).

Thanks for those tips davefitz,
I now need to read up on the American tax system too it seems:)

Wow, 50% is a lot.

The tax here works out as 46% of your gross, but only after a set point (approx €35000, this is at 25% - minus tax free allowances)

Does NYC not allow a certain level to be reached before 50% would kick in? I would have thought so - to support lower income earners?

Any idea how NJ compares? (Perhaps 25% going from the post above?)

Thinking purely on monetary terms, would living in NYC and commuting into NJ be a bad idea? I assume the NJ salary would not reflect the higher cost of living in NYC?

I'm sorry, but I cannot accept the opinion that even combined USA, state, and NYC taxes would come anywhere near 50%. They are simply not that high. (Actually, they might come closer than I'd care to think about if your salary far exceeds that of a typical engineer.)

New Jersey has a large pharmaceutical industry as well as quite a few refineries and chemical plants. There are also several E&C companies located there. Foster Wheeler and (recently ABB) Lummus both have their world headquarters in NJ. There were quite a few more a one time, but it's been quite a while since I lived in the area, and I'm not sure how many are still standing. Even NYC used to have some E&C companies within my memory. (But I'm no spring chicken.) There was Ebasco in downtown Manhattan. There are power plants and universities and who knows what other potential employers in NYC. Nearby New Jersey, Connecticut, and New York state are all "do-able". So, my suggestion is to go for it.
Good Luck,
Doug

The last time I checked, the sum of all fed + NYS + NYC mandatory taxes ( inlcuding medicare, SS) added up to 42+ % at a single salary of $80K, and the typical medical insurance ( which one can argue is not a tax, but is included in the tax structure of all other western nations) is about 8% . The sum of the marginal tax rate is over 5%.

My experience emigrating to the U.S.A. is that you get nowhere from the other side of the ocean. You must visit the U.S., find a job,(New Jersy is the place - not New York City) then apply for legal paperwork.

Simple Process Controls including liquid level alarms.

Hi pbokhuis,

Did you successully emigrate to the U.S? If so, a few questions:

1) Did you find companies were receptive to not being legal to work at the time of interviewing?

2) Can you outline what is involved in the paperwork aspect, I have yet to fully investigate this. Did the company assist in any way?

3) From what I've seen, New Jersey seems more promising.
As I say, it has to be NYC for living (that is beyond my control). However commuting (within reason--> 1 hour each way maybe?) would not bother me.
Are there viable areas within NJ which are within Commuting distance of NYC?

4) Did you make any preperations, before leaving, which you found particularly beneficial?

Many Thanks.

Hi,

I believe that Process Systems Enterprise are currently looking for Process Engineers to help sell their gPROMS dynamic modeling software.

I think they are based in NJ but you should do a search on them and check out the details. A friend of mine was contacted by a head hunter recently and the package sounded pretty good.

Regards
Goggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back