EN 1092-1 vs DIN flange standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMiK21

Civil/Environmental
Apr 26, 2011
PT
Hi all,

I understand that EN 1092-1 flange standard has replaced several DIN standards.

My question is: comparing, for example, PN 10 welding neck flanges as per DIN 2632 vs. the equivalent flangse as per EN 1092-1 standard (type 11) the EN standard flanges are longer (h1) and thicker (c2) - why is that? The difference is quite significant.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why should it not?

EN-codes lean very heavyly on DIN, that is correct, but they are not just a copy.
Of the DIN flanges there are also not very much PT-ratings available with regard to EN 1092-1. I think the EN-1092-1 is a evolution of the DIN standards and very well possible the flange failed when calculation according Annex F (by head I think it is this annex).

Although: most of them can pair up.

Thanks for your reply.

I find it odd that a flange that had been in use for 30-something years was replaced by a significantly thicker one. Different design rules...?

The standard DIN or EN 1092 flanges do fail when calculated according to EN 13445 or ASME VIII. EN 1092-1 Annex F doesn't offer a method to calculate the flanges themselves (ie, to calculate the stresses in the flanges).

I am at work now. And indeed it is Annex E. However, I do not think you will be able to succesfully calculate acc. this annex either.
Perhaps EN 1591? But a calculation according to this standard would require software because it is quite comprehensive.

What is your design code? If you are resident in the Netherlands you could try RToD D0701 perhaps. Or maybe the German standard acc. to AD2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back