Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EN10253-4 Butt Weld Fittings Supplier 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988ajk

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2017
GB
Hi All,

I have designed a DN100 PN16 piping system to code EN13480 using EN1092-1 Flanges, EN10216-5 Tube, and EN10253-4 Fittings, all made from Grade 304L (1.4307) stainless steel. Only to find that the fittings cannot be sourced anywhere in the UK! Does anyone know a supplier in UK/Europe that can help me?

My only other option (maybe) is to use ASME B16.9 tube and fittings, but I dont think this complies with EN13480

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, good luck. Ive had the exact same issue with fittings to EN 10253-4 in grade 316/316L (1.4401/.4404). My advice for the next time is to avoid EN 13480 as much as possible. Every single Ive had to use that code, there have been numerous cases of unclear or incomplete requirements found in the code, errors in formulae or nomenclature, material sourcing issues, non-compliance with fittings or VERY expesnive fittings, contradictions in code sections ...

I believe that for the issue we had, we replaced 316/316L fittings with 316Ti fittings acc EN 10253-4. These were available in (I believe) either Germay or Austria. If you want, I can look up the factory, but itll be tomorrow because Im not at work right now.

What also made a big impact was the use of type A or B fittings. Cant recall but one of those two is also a pain in the *** to use.

XL83NL If you could pass on the factory name so that I can get in touch with them I would be most grateful.

I have read from various sources that the EN13480 code is patchy at best, which is astounding given it is a harmonized standard under the Pressure Equipment Directive.

I would assume that type A fittings are more readily available as they are made for tube with wall thickness being reduced when bent/formed.

This is the first piping system I have designed (Im not a piping engineer) so as a lesson learnt I think I will be going down the ASME route next time.

Based on our inspection documents I found the following manufacturers;
- Starofit (Ganderkesee, Germany)
- Springer (Nettetal, Germany)
- Nirobo (Mainhausen, Germany)
- Erne fittings (Schlins, Austria)

We used type A fittings for the project, excpet for high pressure piping (up to 100 barg) where we had to switch to type B

Thanks Adam
I am the operations director at SSE Pipefittings and also the UK Expert on the technical committee for EN10253 standards
SSE Manufacture EN10253 fittings at our works in Dudley, West Midlands. We do not compete with the larger european mills as our model is quick turnaround.

Mike

Hey,

You can probably check out Swiss Fittings AG . I do think their butt weld fittings are EN10253, but I am not sure if they manufacturer these themselves. Probably Italy, or India. I know that there is a anti-dumping on Chinese made BW fittings in Europe now. They do ship to the United States and United Kingdom.

Otherwise, if the demand is large enough you can probably purchase directly from Italy. Some online platform will probably do the trick.

EN 10204 has nothing to do with material (product form) standards, in contrast to EN 10253. Whoever you spoke doesn't know what he's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back