Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eng work in Japan 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

genericmech03

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2003
AU
Hello,

I am heading to Japan for 12-18 months to teach english, however I would like to stay in touch with the engineering side of things. Can someone give me the lay of the land with regards to getting part time/short term mech eng work in Japan. My plan currently is to start knocking on doors although, I have a feeling this may be too aggressive for the Japanese. I wouldn't be too picky with regards to money. I have beginners level japanese (written and spoken)

Any suggestions

Cheers

Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bill,

Have your jost family make introductions and/or talk to international org's like the Lions or the Masons. They can introduce you to engineers and Architects. remember that Japan is still a very closed society and they don't usually outsource or hire part time or short duration work.

good luck,

Rjeffery

Greetings,

You may want to check with a local U.S. military installation. Not everyone on the base is a military member, and depending on the size of the installation, they may have something available. It may also be another of source of networking too.

Regarding Rjeffery's comment about Japan being a closed society is largely true. I was stationed over there with the U.S. Air Force for three years, and teaching English is a great way to network. I had two semi-private classes, and 3 private students. While you technically will always be a Gaijin, there is still plenty of opportunity as long as you keep an open mind and don't have the "Holier than thou because I'm an American attitude."

Best of luck,

Wayne

Thanks for the advice!

I do plan on staying with a host family, so I will ask them. Although homestay accomodation too is also difficult to arrange without an introduction.

Wayne,

That tip about the military installation is a great lead, I never would have thought of that.

I don't think there is much danger of me having a "Holier than thou because I'm an American attitude" as I am an Aussie and have unfortunately experienced the said attitude first hand.

Cheers keep the tips coming

Bill

Bill,

You will also find useful the books on japanese customs and culture published by the Japan Times. They (the books) will help understand the subtle nature of their language. One tip: "Hi" may, directly translated into english, means "Yes", but it also means "I heard the thing that you were saying (I don't necessarly agree) and I want you to know I heard you." It's called Izuchi (EYE-zoo-chee).

I would try to avoid contact with other english speakers if your intent is to improve your Japanese language and to develope a network within Japan that will last longer than you 18 month stay. I don't mean to shun native english speakers. The Japanese respect you more when you emerse yourself in their culture.

Wayne's tip concerning the military bases is an excellent one if you are intending to make a network within the military community. The military in Japan (US, GB and Aussie) is also a semi-closed society. They tend to stay 'inside the fence' with the Japanese coming to them. It may be a wonderful way of making contacts from all over the world. I am not sure that employment could be secured through the bases there, however. The SOF (status of forces) agreement requires that the local population be given employment before an equally qualified Gaijin.

The best advise anyone can give you is: Try, the worst that can come of your efforts is that they say "Ie" (EE-aye) ie 'No'.

Best of luck.
Keep us posted.

and...

Not all 'Mericans' are uggly, arigant bullies. jest iggerant.

rjeffery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back