Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine bell housing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfadzil

Mechanical
May 18, 2008
Where can I find bell housing manufacturer? And anyone can tell me how to select bell housing for both the engine and alternator of SAE 00.
I'm currently on design stage of an Emergency Diesel Engine Generator with 1600kW. We use MTU engine 16V4000 and Marelli Alternator.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can the engine manufacturer direct you. Obviously they sell to other applications that might also need bell housings.

Failing that, you may need to design one and invest in tooling and have a foundry cast them for you, or if numbers are small, you might need to fabricate from plate.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thank You patprimmer.
It there any proposed of bell housing manufacturer?
Or does bell housing design must follow any specific specification to be used in marine invironment?

I would think to make it out of Marine grade aluminium.

I don't know of a specific manufacturers, but I think you need a foundry or a fabricator that has a broader scope.

How many of these do you need.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

For now, we need 4 units of bell housing. Maybe in future, we might use same bell housing for the same engine and alternator.

Hot tips

Make it out of cast iron, unless weight is critical

If cost is important weld up a proto from plate to get the shape and relationships ok, then take it to a friendly pattern maker and get him to turn it into a pattern. Then sandcast your four bellhousings.

Even for a one off it can be cheaper to get a cast part than a fabbed part.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Additional Question:

"If the engine and alternator is coupled using a flexible coupling, how to do the alignment as the alternator is double bearing type? Is it before the installation if bell housing or after?"

Now you know why single bearing alternators exist. They just bolt right to the bellhousing that comes with the engine. The rotor comes with a flexplate that bolts to the flywheel, using bolts accessed through windows in the generator housing.

Using a double bearing alternator sort of paints you into a corner. You have to use a skid that can carry the reaction torque and a driveshaft, or a custom tubular structure to couple the engine's bellhousing to the generator housing... and you need windows in the structure through which to install and service the driveshaft or coupling. The size of the windows you need is determined by the coupling you select.

Someday, some poor soul will need to replace the entire driveshaft or coupling, so make the windows big...

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Is there any visual information on bell housing and flexible coupling installation? the bell housing SAE shall be SAE 00.

A single bearing alternator couples to an engine almost exactly like an automatic transmission does. I.e., flexplate, ring of bolts into the flywheel, access hole through the bellhousing to secure the bolts, etc.

SAE 00 means 'big'. MTU can provide you with drawings of the 16V4000's flywheel and flywheel housing.

If you insist on using a double bearing alternator, I think you're on your own, i.e. you get to pick out the coupling(s), design your own bellhousing, and figure out all the details.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks Mike.
If you in my place, where we are already purchased the engine, the double bearing alternator and also the flexible coupling, how would you suggest?
I've already suggest to to fix the engine and alternator support on the skid so that several numbers of vibration isolator can be placed beneath the skid rather than the support mounting for the engine and alternator.

If you ask MTU real nice, and send them some money, they can supply a bellhousing/ guard and maybe a coupling or short driveshaft for use with a 'remote mount gear'. That's what they use in boats when they don't want to couple the engine and transmission directly. They might even have a complete set of MTU parts to hook up a two-bearing alternator; you can ask.

I think you're on the right track; bolt the engine and the alternator to a rigid skid, and isolate the skid.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back