Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ENGINE BLOCK BELL BOLT PATTERNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

prostocktom

Mechanical
May 18, 2002
US
Can anyone out there tell me where I can get the dimensions for the bellhousing bolt pattern on Lincoln 368 engine block. I have to make a plate to fix a modern bellhousing and have no source for info. I need. Thanks Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try the OEM. Or some outfit like B&M Racing Transmissions. Or any place that make bellhousings and scatter shields. If you have no luck there. You will have to measure it yourself.

Tom

those lumps were made in 1956-1957 only and fairly rare. I dont THINK they were part of the 430 family ...the bellhousing pattern was probably the old iron 3 speed Fordomatic which was also used in the Y-block 292-312 c.i. motors 1954 thru 1961 or so... which are much more common.

Try Hemmings Motor News (USA) which has many advertisers and specializes in old(er) cars and find some suppliers of parts/pieces for those motors...they might give you a lead.

Good luck.

tom..

another thought...Offenhauser (213)225-1307 IN l.A.

used to /still does lots of odd ball trans/eng adapters...they might have some dims.

Thanks Idano, I tired that number but it's disconnected. Also a Lincoln engine had a different bellhosuing pattern than a Ford y block . A 317,341,368 Lincoln engine have the same pattern and the heavy duty big truck engine 279/317 and 302HD/332HD truck engines share the same bolt pattern. With the last of those engines built in 1963 I believe. I might have to just cut a block up as soon as I can get my hands on one. Thanks Tom

If you have the engine there try doing the old gasket trick of cardboard and and tapping it with a ball peen or other hammer, it works for me and I have done this for many years, why meaSURE TEN TIMES TO MAKE IT WRONG ONce
<oops wrong key again Caps>
Hope thie helps. Make sure you mark the exact center you want for the crank location.

There is frequently a sheet metal gasket/spacer between the engine and trans - see if the dealer can get one of these - would be a simple matter to take the pattern off of a flat piece.

Truck

Thanks to all for your ideas, but I need the actual specs right down to the .001&quot; This is a 50 years old engine, butI have found that I can get the specs at a place in Michigan. They have the orginial drawings and blueprints that I was looking for. So this one is solved. Thanks Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back