Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine Block Structure Design Considerations 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mloew

Automotive
Apr 3, 2002
US
Engine Experts,

What are the first order engine block structure design considerations? I came up with the following:

Cylinder internal pressure
Head joint loads (fasteners)
Thermal distortion of bores
Heat rejection requirements from cylinder bores
Powertrain mounting considerations

I would like to assume that there are no accessory loads on the block.

Are there any acoustic, manufacturing, lubrication, etc. load cases that I am missing?

I have been thinking about the optimal configuration (structural design and semi-materials considerations) of an engine block. In order to develop a parameterized analysis model, I would like to make sure I have all the important first order effects captured.

I welcome your input. Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi All...

Are there any specific standard design considering cooling, water jackets and flow patterns? Or is it based on pure thermodynamical numbers crunching on that specific engine design til it works?

Chers all = )

Soul

For the cooling system, it depends a lot on the overall engine concept. SOme OEM prefers, parallel cooling, some cross flow, etc. Once the concept is determined, database from the previous tests can be referred to. CFD analysis can also be conducted to fine tune the water distribution, gasket aperture, heat transfer coefficient, coolant deflectors, ribs, etc.

We also liased a lot with the water pump, thermostat, sensors, pipes, block+head casting, spark plug and coolant suppliers. The OEM on the other hand gives us the heat rejection limit to ensure that we dont require radiator more than what they can fit into the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back