Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine Configuration for new project

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorsportsdesign

Automotive
Jul 23, 2003
US
I have decided that for this years non-profit-fun-project I will make a set of patterns to make a new engine block, and or cylinder head. My problem is that after considering the many possible configurations I have not been able to settle on one design.

The following is a list of configurations that I am considering, please suggest any others that you think would be interesting or useful.

1. Four valve heads for the gen 3 (LS1,LS6) small block Chevrolet based on components from the Quad 4 head.

2. A V-12 (60 deg) version of #1

3. A V-12 (60 deg) version of a Big Block Chevrolet or 429 Ford SCJ

4. A revival update of the Offy 4, with narrower valve angles and higher ports.

Any ideas or suggestions appriciated.

Jonathan T. Schmidt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about a V8 block to accept a pair of Honda S2000 heads, or better still, a V12 block and 2 head castings to use the S2000 head components but stretched out to 6 cylinder, to give a V12 version of the S2000, which should be about 530 kilowatts, or about 700HP.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

How about a 2000cc V8 motor based on the GSX-R 1000 or R1. I know one Uni built a V8 600cc motor for FSAE. If you build it you could make one heck of a go-kart next year.

is 5 valve an option?...
that audi 20v makes a pretty flat torque curve [seat of pants dyno;)]

Could u imagine a 40valve LS6?....

*drools*

But I think u'd do the Chevy guys a favor by building the 4valve LS6/LS1 heads.

Keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back