Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engine cooling system/fan drive breakdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjain73

Automotive
Jan 21, 2003
CA
Hello - I hope someone out there can help me...

I am trying to get an idea of how often the fan drive on an off-diesel engine vehicle is replaced for any reason. The vehicle can be any off-road vehicle - agricultural, construction or industrial.

I realize that this may be a rather broad question - but any information would be useful -from your own personal experiences, your best guesses etc.

Thanks for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I have had a 12V automotive type fan operate from 1983 until 1995 and an AC 'squirrel cage' type fan in intermittent operation (approx 4 to 6 hrs. per day) from 1972 to 2003---a 1930's International tractor that still was operating on it's OEM water pump and fan in the 1980's(last I noticed)---then again I have had a brand new fan motor fail in ONE WEEK and an industrial pump fan die in a couple months. Maybe you can give us a few more details.

Rod

Fan drives are typically operational for the full life span of the engine. Our experience (a major construction company) leads me to believe that you should expect at least 15-20 yrs out of an average fan drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back