Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine Equations Ref? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckie

Aerospace
Jun 6, 2002
GB
Afternoon,
I'm currently looking for a recommendation for a suitable ref book containing combustion engine equations, mainly those pertaining to turbochaging/supercharging.
The engine I'm working on is the Honda K20A2 Engine.

cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Buckie,

Amazon sells a trifecta (MacInnes, Bell, Miller) for about $50. All are good. Although the MacInnes book is getting a bit long in the tooth, it is still good from a historical standpoint. (I think it was one of the first publications to deal solely with turbochargers.) Hope this helps.

Dick

Cheers Dick, I'd had a good trawl through amazon & saw the McInnes one, like you say its a bit dated, however the mechanics should not really date.
The main reason I'm after the equations is I downloaded the "advanced theory" section from the Garrett website which contains a well written section, complete with eqn's for the basis of turbo sizing. However, I'm finding questionable constants & errors in temperature conversions, leading me to get significantly differing results, hence my need to find a proper reference!

If you want a "trifecta" of authoritative books on engines and turbocharging said engines, it would be:

1. Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. McGraw-Hill, 1988.

2. Watson, N. and Janota, M.S. Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine. Macmillan, 1982 (out of print)

3. Hiereth, H. and Prenninger, P. Charging the Internal Combustion Engine. Springer, 2007.

If you want to make it a quadrifecta (if there were such a word, I would add:

4. Van Basshuysen, R. and Schaefer, F. Internal Combustion Engine Handbook : Basics, Components, Systems, and Perspectives. SAE International, 2004.

Add 5. Bosch Automotive Handbook.

Anything else is kids colouring books in comparison.

Yes, also very good!

If any of the books I listed are a little overwhelming, there are still good books on ICEs by Ferguson, Stone and the aforementioned Heisler. I have all in my library, including oldies but goodies like Taylor, Obert and Ricardo.

I was having a rake through my old technical books at the weekend from my degree & low an behold : Applied Thermodynamics, Eastop & McConkey. This also seen to ref a good deal of the books mentioned above, in particular [1] & [2].
I also have found I have Modern Engine Tuning by A.Graham Bell which I forgot I'd borrowed from an old collegue...sorry fella, must get it back to you if you read this!
Has a good section on charging, but it not overly indepth.
All in all, thanks everybody for your help!

Now awaiting amazon delivery.....

Heisler is fine for general reading but is entirely neither research- nor scholarly rigourous. There are almost no equations and no references or citations to other work and I've found some things that I take issue with. Again, it's fine for learning engine concepts in a superficial, qualitative and practical manner, but citing it in post-graduate research work would not be looked upon favourably by reviewers.

Good bedtime or bathroom reading LOL!

do any of you have any online info relating to the calculations or equations for supercharging and turbo's.
please post the web address here .cheers in advance!

Hi Dan T, yeah it was the strange gas constant with no units combined with the deg F not being converted to Kelvin. I've done the equations from the start ignoring the Garrett layout & get the same answers now. I'm doing it all in mathcad hence if the units aint right the answer will not resolve properly. Apologies too garrett, it all works!
The garrett method uses all the imperial methods and as I'm finding, the older the book on the topic, the more use of pre-resolved tables are used for ease of calculation.
The sums seem to be working as I've just done a revised supercharger version for an engine with known output & I get very accurate values.
Have also checked turbo selection against my existing D40 Navara & sums check out.
I'm now doing the sizing of charge coolers, coupled with the piping design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back