Engine room needed or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFstr

Structural
Jul 20, 2009
US
Hi

I am trying to figure out if we are required by Building code or Fire code or Electrical code (Any code) to build a room for a Natural Gas Fire Generator (A small one).

The whole story is that client want to put a small Natural Gas Fire generator in their warehouse in the plant. Do we need to build a room by any code to place the generator in warehouse or it can be just located there without having surrounding walls?

What discipline's specialty is figuring this type of questions?

I really appreciate your direction.

Regards,
BFstr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest putting post on Boiler and Pressure Vessel Forum. Requirements would be similar. Those guys could probably answer your question very easily.

My guess is fire code and fuel gas code. But only a guess. I think a lot of it has to do with details, volume of gas, gas pressure etc.

Your local gas code and NFPA 37 are good places to start looking for regulations and best practise.

NFPA 37 states "combustible materials shall not be stored in enclosures housing engines" which pretty much means you need a dedicated room. Also, "engine rooms located in structures shall have interior walls, floors and ceilings of at least 1-hour fire resistance rating".

Brian Bobyk - Hoerbiger Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back