Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine Torque Strap 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomOstrowski

Automotive
Apr 2, 2004
US
I have a 360cid smallblock Chevy making approximately 400 lb. ft. of flywheel torque in an '84 C-10 1/2-ton pickup. I plan to add a torque strap consisting of grade-8 bolts(to the frame and cylinder head), small sections of chain and a turnbuckle. My question is this- how do I go about determining a minimum tensile(?) strength rating for the parts of this torque strap in relation to the torque(twisting/canting of the engine upon the motor mounts) of the engine itself? Should I choose parts rated at, say, 500 lbs. based upon the engine's 400 lb. ft. of power and a 100 lb. safety margin? Or...?

Great forum, gents, and I give thanks in advance for any replies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tom.... Starting in 73 Chevy started with the clamshell type motor mounts to eliminate the torque strap. If you want the motor to be rigid in the frame fab up some solid lower mounts. If your old ones are busted go to any local parts house and buy a new pair(less than $15 each here). You can always go wuth aftermarket poly mounts which are better than rubber and rigid mounts and are cost effective.
If you need body, drivetrain or engine parts let me know. i have atleast one of each.

Steven

I too have been down the chain/strap/cable path. I've found that a mount of this design: works better. NVH may be an issue using urethane as the above does, however if you order a Metro Molded Parts catalog you can choose a rubber leaf spring eyelet bushing to use in your own fabricated mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back