Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineer or what? 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

diacetim

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2003
DE
I’m very disappoint of what is happening in my company.
My original degree is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
I have 5 years experience in designing – material-handling equipment. I know some of Cad program – ProE, Inventor, Autocad.
I have a colleague, which does not have half of my knowledge. She is not even engineer; she has only the qualification of a drafter.
The problem is that she is very appreciated for what she’s doing ( she can’t do anything without asking our manager, I mean only designing) and she will be my manager in couple months.
I’m not Einstein and I don’t want to be a manager, but I think as a Engineering Manager you should have at least a Bachelor of Science Degree.
My problem is that I cannot I won’t kiss some manager’s asses.
Maybe I’m so dumb that I do not realize my real value and I should stay in the corner and be indifferent of everything?
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

paraphrased from "Dilbert"

"It takes years of training to be an engineer. It takes no training whatsoever to be an engineer's boss."

[bat]All this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted.[bat]

Been there, done that. Give her a chance (but keep your options open, anyway). She might be great as a manager. If so, she will entrust you and other engineers with the technical details, while she handles the paperwork.

It's more difficult for real engineers to manage, since they always want to look at the details. They often end up micromanaging, which frustrates everybody.

It could be worse, you could be out of a job ...

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said she always asked the manager, ie. she got noticed. It's a sure way of promotion regardless of qualifications or aptitude to do the job. Though an inaptitude always seems to guarantee promotion as becoming the manager you can do less harm.

Hi diacetim:

I am sorry you are down. Probably everyone has had a manager at some time who knows less than they do. My view is--"What is so wrong with that?" It could make you look good! Remember that the manager's role is to bring out the best in the people who work for them. That is what she will be judged on. She may turn out to be a good manager in that if she sees your ability she will leave you alone. Try to look on this as an opportunity to change the way things work around you for the better. There is a lot to be said for having the freedom to follow your own ideas. Good luck.

Regards
linacman

In a rather untimely moment I wish to quote a Arthur Andersen consultant from the 1980's, "Information is not money, It's how you use the information." Politics within the corporate world are common place. My advise is to use this trial to see where you might fit best. Does your corp. value educated opinions or popular ones? Is there another department where your education would be more valued? In a worst case look beyond the firm you are with. who are your competition. Ask the question "Do they place the same value on your knowlege?" There are plenty who do recognise the value of an education that is APPLIED. I would bet that there is someone in the upper managment of your corp. that does. Find them. Make your value known. Remember that for any corp. the bottom line is profit. This can be in savings, increased effeciency, or decreased liability. Frustrated? Good! go to work to prove that you are worth more.

The truth will set you free. Best of luck. Geodude

By all means , nowadays eventhough you have good academic and product Knowledge , you have to very thourough with
"Office Politics "

Office politics are rather "Win-Win " attitude in particular Case or Activity.

In life and in office, it is stupid to have a myopic vision. Think of not now, but two, five years ahead. A dumb manager who is dependent upon you for his/her work is the best thing you can have. By your knowledge and command over work, you can control things like a puppet show, and the best part is you will not share the responsibilties attached with the power.

Bottom line - see your opportunities, even when the things look grim and work towards them. Life is a great leveller.

Some people may want to be manager types and others technological types. If you are wanting to remain "true" to your profession, see if you can establish a parallel career path within the organization. This is something that we have just revisited. We have technical positions of equivalent pay grades to managerial ones (up to the corporate officer level). This provides the opportunity for advancement without forcing anyone unnecessarily into the managerial path.

PSE

Out company is also implementing a 'technical' track and it sounds promising. Instead of advancing to 'Project Mananger', we are developing a 'Technical Lead' and 'Technical Director' postion. I think it's a great idea. How do the responsibilities of a large project get divided up in your company, between the equivalent managerial and technical positions?

Thanks

MadKungFu

I disagree with flame's post above if you are trying to advance, or even make a lateral move. Managers who are dependent on their employees often try to keep them from moving to another position. Do your job well, but be visible to others (especially managers) outside of your own chain of command.

xnuke

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I'm surprised at all the positive comments, Good reading and good advice.

I'll add one of my favorite quotes, although I don't know if I made it up or heard it:

"Worry about yourself"

Since you don't want to be the manager, it should make no difference to you who is until they treat you poorly. Then you may take care of yourself by addressing that particular situation.

Until then, concentrate on what YOU do, and do it well.

It is all depends on type of Products produced by Corporate.
I disagree with Madkungfu ,
My Company is dealing with almost 1500 nos range of Different products family .
How the technical Lead/Director will help inthis scenario.
( Multi Product Group Manager System will also work )
New Engineers joined in this company particularly in Product Development , during initail stage say ,upto 1 year they had enough cue and cry.
After two to three years they are jumping to new Carrer.

Madkungfu,

In our ladder, a Senior Engineer is equivalent to a project manager as both have similar responsibilities and capabilities. The Senior Engineer is the "go to" for the technical aspects of a project while the project manager deals with the interdepartmental coordination and schedule. From there, we have Principal Engineer which are the equivalent to group managers and Staff Engineer which is equivalent to an Directors position. Bottom end of the food chain includes Interns, Associates, and Engineers. Pay grades are identical for the technical/managerial path steps.

Regards

Thanks PSE

In your ladder, then, do the bottom-feeders have any real need for communication with the Project Manager, or does the Senior Engineer act as a liason for scheduling info?

Madkungfu

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity - Unknown

Beware of technical ladders. In this age of flattening organizational pyramids, it became obvious to even engineers that there is little chance for advancement. As a result technical ladders were created to mislead engineers with promises of future reward while managers continue to rake in raises and promotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back