Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering Consulting Firms

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliou

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2006
CA
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with engineering firms. Is it hard to get hired at one? Do you need to have a master's degree in order to be competitive?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It all depends and the discipline and market. Sometimes the only requirement is only a pulse. Of course pay is still based on experience.

--Mike--

I would think that a very large majority of people on this forum have experience with an engineering firm.

How hard it is to get hired at one depends on where you are, what you do, the firm, what you want, etc.

No, a master's is not necesarily required to be competitive. Again, it depends on where you are, what you do, the firm, what you want, etc.

If you can narrow your question more, the answers wil be more specific.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the Toronto region and am hoping to get a job at a consulting firm (don't have a specific one in mind). I was just wondering if anyone has experienced difficulty in getting a interview/employment by a consulting firm because they don't have a graduate degree.

Depends a great deal on the type of work and the preferences of the people doing the hiring. Some people will put a lot of faith in a higher degree, either as developing required skills, or showing an ability for independent learning. A consulting company is only as good the people who work there, after all, and some places are very specialized.

However, I once had a frank discussion with an EPC boss about the value of a higher degree. His firm had a lot of engineers working as generalists, tying together the work of vendors and contractors into their own designs. To him, grad school was a way for people to have some fun learning about something they were really interested in, but they'd probably almost never get to use it in "the real world." And personally, I know some of my coworkers can count on one hand the number of times they've used integration, much less graduate school skills.

If you apply to enough consulting places, you'll find many where a BSc. is plenty. You don't have to worry about it.

eliou,

You could always move to Calgary where the consulting firms are very hungry... :) Then in a year or two you'll be someone with "consulting experience" & (hopefully) good references downside is that it will probably be all petrochemical unless you look hard for other.

I have run across both people who think "higher degrees mean you just want to do research" and "we prefer a course based masters"... so will probably depend on the individual.

:)

SLH

My experience with consulting for A&E firms (maybe not the type you are interested in) is that they are after people who can communicate well. Unless you want to work for a large firm, the best approach would be to either network to find contact within a consulting firm, or cold-calling the manager of the department you would be interested in.

Initiative and ability to communicate mean that you will be capable of dealing with clients, keeping them happy and selling services, which is what consulting is all about.

Good luck, and consider doberdorks Alberta suggestion -- sometimes its good to get out of your comfort zone.

I don't have a masters or PhD. I have had no trouble getting employment with an EPCM.

Again, it depends on lots of things, like I said.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back