Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engineering Education in the IT age 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nades

Structural
Aug 10, 2001
SY
I want to know the opinions of other people about the change of Engineering Education in the IT age. I think that there is a major change has been done in the way we teach and learn engineering in the last ten years. The existence of the Internet made an important role in the modification of the way we teach.
I want your comments on that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll give an example where the the software vendors add to the problem. They advertise their program will simulate any ChemE type process. The young engineer convinces management to get the program because it is so accurate. The kid racks up up money on the help line to get the answers that he should know. Within a year the kid is no smarter and the company poorer.

I gave the kid a problem one time that could not be solved by just brute computers, it took some some understanding of the problem and interpertation of the unsolved results of the program. This time the help desk told him to set the iterations to 10000 and go to lunch. 1 hour later no results. Oh, well he was a rising star in the company because he had done so well in the past, I let him alone, he'll cost the company a bundle someday, it's the only way he and his boss will learn.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back