Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Enginnering history books with technical details 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

+1 for Hooker's book. The appendix has schematics of the Merlin and the Rolls Royce engines, even including a few performance curves.

My recommendation is any one of JE Gordon's books:

Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down
9780140136289_l.jpg

and

The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor
9780140135978_l.jpg

Gene Kranz: Failure is Not an Option White knuckles. Also has a lot to say about how to make a team out of bunch of people.

Alan Turing: The Enigma by Dr. Andrew Hodges If you like math, you're in heaven - or you already know all this stuff. It was an eyeopener to me.

Henry Petroski: To Engineer is Human Careful consideration of the ways to learn from failure.

Apogee Books Space Series (Apollo, Gemini, Mercury) Robert Godwin Very technical. Includes mostly NASA technical press released and technical briefing documents.

Engineer’s Sketch-Book OF MECHANICAL MOVEMENTS, DEVICES, APPLIANCES, CONTRIVANCES AND DETAILS by Thomas Walter Barber I have actually used a reference like this (not this exact one) to help visualize a mechanism that I needed to modify. Also useful during discussions to illustrate a kind of mechanism when you are proposing an idea and don't have the time to draw it.

Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy by Moore is a great account of the history of measurement and the development of highly accurate machine tools since the industrial revolution.

Karl Terzaghi: The Engineer as an Artist

Talks about Terzaghi and the many geotechnical projects he was involved in around the world. Has some small, but focused, discussion about the development of theories related to soil mechanics and how his novel solutions evolved our current state of practice.

NASA has some interesting free e-books. Next to others there are 4 volumes of "Rockets and People", history of Soviet rocket/space industry by Boris Chertok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back