Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enterprise PDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWUSER71

Marine/Ocean
Aug 10, 2010
US
We are in process of implementing EPDM, I have a few questions...

1. Put all files in the vault, even if they don't require revision control, so all job files are all in one place? Is this a good idea, or just vault what needs to be revision controled?

2. Folder structure; our current suggestions have sub-folders 6 deep, is that okay or is it better for vault performance to limit the depth of the sub-folders?

3. How do you do templates for models and drawings?
Models, do you have templates for decimail and fraction?
Drawings,our VAR has suggested to minimize our templates
by only using (1) or (2) sheet sizes (e.g. B & D)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SWUSER71,

What files do not require revistion control?

Do you really have to limit your folder depths?

What templates to you need? Perhaps you can write something in visual basic to configure your files. I did set up our templates with A, C and D only, and my co-workers demaned I add C and E. The fewer templates you have, the easier it will be to update them.

Critter.gif
JHG

Files -
They want to put packing slips, vendor correspondences, etc. into the vault, not sure is all this needs to be in the vault?

Folders-
I was always told that the more complex you made your folder structure the more it slowed down the performance of the vault...?

The folder structure you 'see' in the EPDM is comprised of pointers to actual files on disk. You do need to limit the number of files on the OS side in each folder for performance reasons, and OS limits. The EPDM view can have as many folders as you need to organize your files for ease of use by your users.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back