Entry Level HVAC Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELJ51

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2014
US
Hello,

I am a recent ME grad who just got a job with a small HVAC firm. I do not have any HVAC experience and took no courses in school (besides Heat transfer, Thermo, etc.) The firm I work at only employs one other engineer (also fresh out of school), while everyone else has been in the industry for many years. The current method of design is the guess and check method or they just know it will work since they have done it for so long. I am looking for some good resources on the engineering side of HVAC, such as component selection, calculations, programming, etc. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I highly recommend the ASHRAE books. The University of Wisconsin has great continuing education programs and where I work sent me to the Fundamentals of HVAC course. It is a little pricey, but realistically they are losing money training you as it is and your salary is likely high enough to justify shifting the learning curve in your favor.

ELJ51 (Mechanical)
In addition to the ASHRAE hand books, see if your company is a member of SMACNA and get their handbooks.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

There are a lot of HVAC/R engineering examples in Perry Chem. and Kent ME "Power" handbooks. My local library has also a ton of books on AC/R. So here you go, your local library particularly if it is situated in an industrial town will have these books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back